Laptops sales rising in IndiaJuly 8th, 2008 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) Laptop sales are rising in India, which now accounts for over 25 percent of the total personal computer (PC) market, an industry body said Tuesday. The Manufacturers Association for Information Technology (MAIT) said in its Industry Performance Review 2007-08 that notebooks were now affordable and the new models had enhanced security features besides other in-built accessories.
MAIT executive director Vinnie Mehta said laptop notebooks account for a quarter of the total PC market in the country, up from less than 3 percent four years ago.
“With shifting consumer preference in favour of notebooks over the desktop, this proportion will only get larger with time. It accounts for over 25 percent of the total PC market in 2007-08,” Mehta said.
“The establishment segment as well as the households witnessed healthy growth in laptop sales,” the report said.
On the other hand, assembled desktops and unbranded systems witnessed a slowdown of over 12 percent in sales accounting for 33 percent of the total desktop sales in 2007-08.
Sale of desktop computers and laptops are expected to touch 8.5 million this fiscal, the report said. Last year, 7.34 million units were sold.
MAIT president Mukul Singhal said there was an urgent need to strengthen the broadband infrastructure in the country. He said the prices of PCs and other access devices in India were one of the lowest in the world.
Also, the number of active internet users has increased to 7.2 million by March 2008, while the figure was 6 million units in March 2007.
- PC sales up 42 percent in third quarter - Mar 22, 2010
- Personal computers sales grew 18 percent last fiscal - Jul 28, 2010
- Indians buy fewer computers, sales drop 7 percent - Jul 14, 2009
- Personal computer sales dip 19 percent in Q3 - Mar 16, 2009
- PC sales flat in first half, industry expects revival - Feb 11, 2010
- Fewer computers sold in India in 2008-09 (Lead) - Jul 14, 2009
- Inflation affected PC sales in Q1 of 2012 in India: Gartner - May 25, 2012
- India's PC market declines - Feb 15, 2012
- Printer sales up one percent last fiscal - Jul 30, 2009
- Personal computer market grows 26 percent - Feb 17, 2011
- Semi-portable powerhouses: Laptops to replace the PC - Jun 21, 2010
- PC sales in India may rise to 12.71 million in 2012 - Aug 31, 2011
- India's computer sales up 33 percent in first quarter - May 23, 2010
- Mini-laptop market to shrink by 40 mn in 2012 - Dec 08, 2011
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
Tags: broadband infrastructure, consumer preference, desktop computers, desktop sales, favour, households, industry performance, internet users, laptop notebooks, laptop sales, mait, manufacturers association, mehta, mukul, New Delhi, personal computer pc, security features, singhal, slowdown, unbranded systems