Lane discipline, fines can improve Delhi traffic: Police chiefJanuary 6th, 2011 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 6 (IANS) Lane discipline and imposing fines for traffic offences can change Delhi’s traffic management considerably, Delhi Police Commissioner B.K. Gupta said Thursday.”Traffic management through the lane system and fines during the Commonwealth Games was highly praised worldwide. Fines and lane system can be Delhi’s key to smooth traffic management,” Gupta said at the annual police conference here.
The police plan to install 1,700 cameras covering all intersections in the national capital in 2011.
“We have also selected 15 corridors where bus management has been effective. This includes main Ring Road and major intersections where constant patrolling has been taking place,” added Gupta.
According to Delhi Police statistics, strict patrolling has brought down the number of fatal accidents to nine percent.
“We plan to initiate more new programmes on the lines of intelligent traffic system. And we will continue to engage citizens through Facebook and other mediums such as helpline numbers,” Gupta said.
The Facebook page of Delhi Traffic Police has proved to be very popular, with nearly 44,000 members who are constantly updated on various blockades and diversions.
- Five new zero traffic rule violation zones in Delhi - Nov 29, 2010
- With celebrities, Facebook, Twitter, Delhi Police ready for Games traffic (Commonwealth Games Countdown) - Jun 29, 2010
- Traffic violators must pay more: Delhi police chief - Jan 07, 2011
- Fatal accidents have come down: Delhi Police - Jan 06, 2012
- Crime cases increased in 2010: Delhi Police (Roundup) - Jan 06, 2011
- 'Lakhs of Delhi Police followers on SMS, Facebook' - Jan 06, 2012
- Court restores transit corridor's lane to buses - Sep 11, 2012
- Delhi cops want higher penalties to end traffic woes - Feb 11, 2012
- Less road accidents at night in Delhi: Police - Apr 18, 2012
- Delhi Police eyes high tech makeover - Jan 06, 2011
- Task force to check Delhi's traffic violators, corrupt cops - Sep 08, 2010
- Task force to check Delhi's rogue drivers, corrupt cops (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Ensure safety of northeasterns, Delhi Police urged - Nov 17, 2011
- Deaths on Delhi roads down by 8 percent, say police - Jul 02, 2011
- CWG special road lanes trials likely from Sunday - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: blockades, commonwealth games, corridors, delhi police, diversions, fatal accidents, helpline numbers, intelligent traffic, intersections, k gupta, new programmes, patrolling, police commissioner, police conference, police plan, police statistics, traffic management, traffic offences, traffic police, traffic system