Landslides disrupt Konkan Railway trafficJuly 18th, 2011 - 12:47 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 18 (IANS) Two massive landslides within hours have completely disrupted train services on the Konkan Railway route, as heavy rains lashed Goa and nearby areas for the eighth day Monday.
Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL) public relations officer (PRO) Baban Ghatge told IANS that the first landslide occurred at 8 p.m. Sunday in Maharashtra’s Ratnagiri district, about 150 km from here, while the second took place at 12:30 a.m. also at the same spot.
“We had resumed rail services after clearing the debris from the first landslide last night. But after the second landslide, all rail traffic has been halted,” Ghatge said.
The official said that the Konkan railway was only carrying out transshipment services, which involves transferring passengers from trains on either side of the landslide to trains on the other side and ferrying them to their destination.
“Passengers from the Nizamuddin-Goa Sampark Kranti Express have been transshipped to the Trivandrum-Lokmanya Tilak Terminus (LTT) Netravati Express and vice versa for their respective onward journeys,” Ghatge said.
Similar arrangements have been worked out for passengers travelling on the Kochiveli-Bikaner Express 16312 and 12619 LTT-Mangalore Matsyagandha Express, and 12617 Ernakulam-Nizamuddim Mangala Express and 12618 Nizauddim-Ernakulam Mangala Express respectively.
- Konkan Railway route to normalise Thursday - Jul 19, 2011
- Heavy rains hit trains in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 25, 2010
- Heavy rains disrupt life, rail links in coastal Maharashtra - Jul 24, 2010
- Heavy showers disrupt Konkan rail traffic (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express halted on bomb scare - Jun 20, 2012
- Delhi-bound Rajdhani Express halted on bomb scare (Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Traffic on Konkan rail route resumes after 12 hours (Lead) - Aug 18, 2010
- Landslide blocks movement of Konkan Railway trains on west coast - Jul 27, 2010
- Heavy showers disrupt traffic on Konkan rail route - Jun 17, 2011
- Landslide hit Konkan rail services - Aug 18, 2010
- Make trains rat-free, Congress leader requests Mamata - May 07, 2011
- 16 injured as boulder hits train - Nov 09, 2010
- Bomb hoax delays Delhi-bound Rajdhani in Goa (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- Goa train ticket checkers strike work for two hours - Oct 07, 2010
- Landslide, heavy rain delay Konkan Railway trains - Oct 02, 2009
Tags: eighth day, heavy rains, journeys, konkan railway corporation, kranti, landslide, mangala, mangalore, massive landslides, matsyagandha express, nearby areas, nizamuddin, rail traffic, railway route, railway traffic, ratnagiri district, sampark, train services, transshipment, trivandrum