Land Ports Authority bill introduced in Rajya SabhaAugust 19th, 2010 - 9:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 19 (IANS) A bill seeking to establish an authority to manage facilities for movement of passengers and goods across India’s borders with four neighbouring countries was introduced in the Rajya Sabha Thursday.
The Land Ports Authority Of India Bill, 2009 will provide for the establishment of the Land Ports Authority for the development and management of facilities for cross-border movement of passengers and goods at designated points along the international borders of India.
Introducing the bill, Minister of State for Home Ajay Maken said the bill will help in enhancing “trade at the border with neighbouring countries of Bangladesh, Nepal, Myanmar and Pakistan”.
Presently there is no single agency to coordinate functioning of various government authorities and service providers in the land customs points, and the bill proposes to establish integrated check posts at entry and exit points on the international land borders of the country.
According to the bill, the Integrated Check Posts will be a “sanitised zone” with dedicated passenger and cargo terminals comprising adequate customs and immigration facilities, security and scanning equipment, health and quarantine facilities, passenger amenities and other facilities.
- Chidambaram lays foundation stone of Raxaul ICP in Bihar - Apr 24, 2010
- Chidambaram lays foundation stone for integrated border check-post - May 17, 2011
- India building international-level checkposts along borders - May 06, 2011
- Union Minister Ramachandran lays foundation stone for Jogbani ICP - Jun 24, 2010
- Soon, a 550-km long India-Nepal trade route: Chidambaram - Apr 24, 2010
- India setting up integrated checkposts along border - May 25, 2010
- Modern ICCP along border to promote trade - May 30, 2010
- CCEA approves integrated check posts - Nov 06, 2008
- Chidambaram to lay foundation stone of ICP at Attari tomorrow - Feb 19, 2010
- Chidambaram to lay foundation stone of ICP at Attari today - Feb 20, 2010
- Blinkered vision harms trade, Indian aid in Nepal - Jul 08, 2011
- Cabinet approves integrated check post on land borders - Nov 06, 2008
- CII looking forward to meeting between Indo-Pak Commerce Secretaries - Apr 25, 2011
- New checkpost opened at Attari, to boost sub-continental trade (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
- New integrated checkpost opened at Attari, to boost Indo-Pak trade (Lead) - Apr 13, 2012
Tags: ajay maken, border movement, cargo terminals, check posts, customs and immigration, development and management, exit points, facilities security, government authorities, international borders, land borders, land ports, minister of state, neighbouring countries, passenger amenities, ports authority, quarantine, rajya sabha, scanning equipment, single agency