Lalu lays foundation stone of rail wheel factory in ChapraJuly 29th, 2008 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, July 29 (IANS) Railways Minister Lalu Prasad Tuesday laid the foundation stone of his dream project, a Rs.14.17 billion rail wheel factory, at Bela in Chapra district of Bihar. After laying the foundation stone, Lalu Prasad announced that the much awaited construction work would start soon at Chapra, which falls in his parliamentary constituency.
The factory is expected to go into production in 2010.
East Central Railway chief public relations officer A.K. Chandra said the rail wheel factory, the third in the country after the Yelahanka factory near Bangalore and Durgapur Steel Plant in West Bengal, will annually produce 100,000 wheels.
Railways officials said the proposed factory would be different in that it would mainly use scrap iron from railway yards across the country to make wheels using technology from US-based Griffin.
“The reuse of high-quality scrap which at present is being auctioned off by the railways will lead to huge cost savings and increased profitability of the railways,” an official said.
According to a press release issued by the railways, the comprehensive contract for setting up the factory and allied structures has been awarded to Larsen and Toubro, which competed with Tata Projects and Gammon India to bag the project.
- Work on Hyderabad Metro to begin in January - Jul 15, 2010
- Work on long-delayed Palakkad coach factory to start Oct 22 - Sep 19, 2011
- Andhra government awards L&T Hyderabad Metro project - Aug 04, 2010
- West Bengal has got Rs.56,000 crore investment: Mamata - Dec 15, 2011
- Hitler, Goebbels, Lalu Prasad, Nitish Kumar - who's who? - Aug 01, 2008
- Anna supporters seek Lalu Prasad's support - Aug 22, 2011
- 11 senior posts in railways vacant - Sep 02, 2011
- Railways has become 'dry cow': Lalu Prasad - Mar 14, 2012
- Sonia to lay foundation stone of Dungarpur-Ratlam rail line - Jun 03, 2011
- Trivedi awaits report on modernisation of railways - Feb 21, 2012
- CPI-M mocks Mamata's industrial revolution remark - Nov 01, 2011
- Larsen and Toubro's arm bags orders worth Rs.2,410 crore - Jun 07, 2012
- L&T bags projects worth Rs.1,103 crore - Jan 03, 2011
- Banerjee set to present her fifth rail budget - Feb 24, 2011
- Railway coach, container unit to come up at Budge Budge - Jan 12, 2011
Tags: bangalore, bihar, central railway, chapra, construction work, dream project, durgapur steel plant, foundation stone, gammon india, k chandra, lalu prasad, larsen and toubro, laying the foundation, parliamentary constituency, patna, railway yards, railways, scrap iron, using technology, west bengal