Lagarde visiting India to garner support for top IMF jobJune 6th, 2011 - 6:47 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 6 (IANS) French Finance Minister Christine Lagarde, one of the favourites for the top job at the International Monetary Fund (IMF), is scheduled to meet Indian leaders Tuesday in an effort aimed at garnering support for her candidature as successor to Dominique Strauss-Kahn.
Lagarde is likely to meet senior leaders in New Delhi including Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee to seek India’s support for her bid, officials said Monday.
The French minister has officially declared her intention to stand for the position of managing director of the IMF, which fell vacant after Strauss-Kahn quit last month following accusation of sexual misconduct.
Lagarde is also scheduled to visit other developing countries, including China, Brazil and some African countries, to seek their support for her candidature.
Developing countries, including India, have been demanding that the next IMF chief should be from a developing country.
Since its inception, the IMF has always been headed by a European. Four out of the 10 IMF managing directors so far have been from France.
- Lagarde seeks India's support for top IMF job - Jun 07, 2011
- No Indian assurance to Lagarde on IMF top job bid (Lead) - Jun 07, 2011
- French minister announces candidacy for IMF chief - May 25, 2011
- Lagarde is new IMF chief - Jun 29, 2011
- IMF chief Lagarde to face financial deal probe - Aug 04, 2011
- India yet to decide on IMF chief nominee - Jun 17, 2011
- Global financial institutions need changes: PM - May 25, 2011
- Lagarde is new IMF chief, gets support from India, US - Jun 29, 2011
- EU countries begin talks to propose new IMF chief - May 19, 2011
- PM hopes for consensus on top IMF job, slams Western monopoly - May 29, 2011
- IMF chief to face New York court in sex assault case - May 16, 2011
- Former IMF chief can spend term in France if convicted - May 23, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn blames Sarkozy for destroying his bid - Apr 28, 2012
- Manmohan invokes NAM, questions West's control of IMF (Lead) - May 29, 2011
- Strauss-Kahn bedded three women the weekend he 'assaulted' maid? - Jul 17, 2011
Tags: accusation, african countries, candidature, christine lagarde, developing countries, developing country, dominique strauss kahn, french finance minister, french minister, imf chief, inception, indian leaders, international monetary fund, international monetary fund imf, managing director, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, sexual misconduct, top job, visiting india