Lack of funds delay railway projects: MinisterAugust 12th, 2011 - 5:12 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) The government Friday said lack of funds and bureaucratic hurdles were causing huge price escalations in ongoing railway projects.
“The main reasons for delay have been paucity of funds, delay in land acquisition, court cases and forest clearance,” Bharatsinh Solanki, minister of state for railways, informed the Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
According to Solanki, other reasons for delays in railway projects include adverse law and order conditions and non-availability of material and other economic reasons.
“Ongoing projects undergo cost escalation on account of delays and change in the standard of construction and technology, scope of work, inflation,” Solanki said.
The railways is engaged in various projects, including laying of new lines and gauge conversions, that require about Rs.125,000 crore for completion.
- Karnataka sets up panel to monitor rail projects - Apr 21, 2011
- Public projects worth over Rs.300,000 crore delayed - Aug 11, 2011
- Jharkhand, railways sign MOU - Feb 15, 2012
- 9,211 railway touts caught - Sep 02, 2011
- Bilaspur busiest railway division - Sep 02, 2011
- Four railway zones account for most failures - Sep 02, 2011
- Railways grappling with anti-collision device - Sep 02, 2011
- Rooftop train travel kills 211 - Sep 02, 2011
- '251 delayed projects to cost 23.45 percent more' - Aug 19, 2011
- Delays in infra projects raises costs 23 percent: Government (Lead) - Aug 19, 2011
- Slums to go from near railway tracks - Sep 02, 2011
- No idea how much free railway passes cost - Sep 02, 2011
- 'Northeast's connectivity issue to be dealt with' - Jun 20, 2012
- 11 senior posts in railways vacant - Sep 02, 2011
- 'Northeastern capitals on rail map by 2017' - Jul 02, 2011
Tags: bureaucratic hurdles, conversions, court cases, crore, economic reasons, escalation, escalations, forest clearance, land acquisition, law and order, minister of state, New Delhi, ongoing projects, paucity, railway projects, railways, rajya sabha, rs 125, scope of work, technology scope