Lack of awareness affects NREGS implementation, says ministerAugust 26th, 2009 - 11:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 26 (IANS) “Lack of awareness, delayed payment of wages and non-maintenance of proper records” were affecting the implementation of the government’s flagship National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (NREGS), Rural Development Minister C.P. Joshi said Wednesday.
Joshi was speaking at an all-party meeting convened by the ministry of rural development held on the NREG scheme.
The minister said that “lack of awareness, inability of workers to submit written applications, delayed payment of wages, non-maintenance of proper records such as muster rolls, and quality of assets created under the scheme” were the problem areas of the NREGA.
Joshi said the priority of the ministry was on the convergence of NREGS with other schemes.
He also told the meeting that the government has placed adequate funds with the states to tide over the crisis caused by the drought in 250 districts of the country.
Rashtriya Janata Dal leader Lalu Prasad demanded setting up of vigilance and monitoring committees to ensure accountability.
Rajendra Agarwal of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) said the scheme “was not reaching the poor to the extent required, and the government should go in for afforestation in a big way under the scheme in view of the global warming”.
Communist Party of India-Marxist representative Ram Chander Dome suggested that the government should make spot payments by banks in areas, which do not have bank branches.
- PM to decide giving minimum wages to NREGA workers: Joshi - Nov 20, 2010
- Payments to workers under rural job scheme to be expedited - Jan 18, 2010
- IT to make job guarantee scheme more transparent - Aug 21, 2010
- Delayed wages, corruption in MNREGA worry PM, Sonia (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Government receives 1400 complaints in implementation of MNREGA - Nov 17, 2010
- PM concerned over delayed NREGA wages, Sonia suggests reforms (second lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- No funding problem in rural jobs scheme, says minister - Apr 22, 2010
- Effective implementation of Mahatma Gandhi NREGA needed: Dr.Joshi - Feb 17, 2010
- Government to harness NREGS to raise farm output - Jan 21, 2010
- Policies should be flexible, says PM - Jul 14, 2012
- 'Linking rural jobs wages to inflation will fuel graft' - Mar 02, 2011
- Delayed wage payments hit rural job scheme: minister - Nov 15, 2011
- Rural jobs scheme floundering in Bengal, say NGOs - Nov 04, 2011
- Probe ordered into Gujarat rural jobs scheme wage scam - Nov 18, 2010
- Regional parties want scope of NREGA to be widened - Oct 06, 2009
Tags: adequate funds, afforestation, bank branches, bharatiya janata party, bjp, chander, communist party of india, communist party of india marxist, development minister, drought, global warming, guarantee scheme, joshi, lack of awareness, ministry of rural development, muster rolls, nrega, nregs, problem areas, vigilance