Kushinagar in UP to have international airportJuly 18th, 2012 - 3:17 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, July 18 (IANS) The Uttar Pradesh government will soon undertake construction of an international airport at the Buddhist pilgrimage town of Kushinagar, around 320 km from here, an official said Wednesday.
The project is proposed to be built on the public-private partnership (PPP) model at an estimated cost of Rs.350 crore.
The existing air strip in Kushinagar would be upgraded to an international airport, a tourism department spokesperson said.
Around 615 acre land has been acquired from the civil aviation department and the project consultant has sought expression of interest from developers, the official added.
Efforts are on to get the viability gap funding from the central government, he said.
The government will also roll out a major action plan to develop the Buddhist circuit in the state, the tourism official said.
Kushinagar is an important Buddhist pilgrimage site where the body of Gautama Buddha was cremated. It became one of the four holy places declared by the Buddha to be fit places for pilgrimage for the pious — the other three being Kapilavastu (near Lumbini), Bodh Gaya and Sarnath.
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Buddha's home Kapilavastu lies in utter neglect - Feb 17, 2011
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Buddhist body loses cool after power cut in Bodh Gaya - Mar 10, 2011
- Buddha's birthplace facing major environmental threat: Experts - Jun 09, 2009
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
- Buddha's home Kapilavastu lies in dire neglect (Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- UN-backed project to conserve Buddha's birthplace underway - Jan 12, 2011
- Bhutan to help promote tourism in Bihar - May 06, 2011
- UP to develop districts adjoining Nepal border - Jul 20, 2012
- Buddhist monasteries closed for third day in Bodh Gaya - Mar 12, 2011
Tags: acre land, air strip, bodh gaya, buddhist pilgrimage, central government, civil aviation department, expression of interest, gautama buddha, holy places, kapilavastu, lucknow, pilgrimage site, pilgrimage town, project consultant, public private partnership, sarnath, tourism department, tourism official, uttar pradesh government, viability