Krishna meets Indian traders, will take up issue with ChinaJune 6th, 2012 - 6:19 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, June 6 (IANS) India’s External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna Wednesday met two Indian traders embroiled in a dispute with locals over defaulting payment running into millions of dollars in China’s commodity hub Yiwu and said he will take up the issue with the Chinese foreign minister Thursday.
“I had a good meeting with two traders today. I told them I will be meeting the Chinese foreign minister tomorrow. I certainly will take up the issue with him,” Krishna told Indian journalists here at Raffles Hotel in Beijing.
He was speaking after a meeting with Deepak Raheja and Shyam Sunder Agarwal, two Indian traders who were taken captive by locals in a hotel in Yiwu, a trading hub near Shanghai, for alleged fraud involving millions of dollars.
They were later released in January after the Indian consulate in Shanghai intervened. But as they were to be tried in a local court, they can’t leave China.
The case has become more complicated after fresh charges of fraud were brought against them recently.
India has issued two advisories in January and May asking Indian traders not to do business in Yiwu. China has maintained that it’s a matter of civil litigation and the law will take its own course.
(Manish Chand can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- India secures release of its traders trapped in China (Lead) - Jan 04, 2012
- Indian Navy ships in China next week, to expand strategic trust - Jun 07, 2012
- Two Indian traders to reach Shanghai soon: Krishna - Jan 04, 2012
- BJP meets Chinese envoy on traders' issue - Jan 05, 2012
- India, China to resume dialogue on non-proliferation - Apr 13, 2012
- India plays down travel advisory, says no contentious issues with China - Jun 05, 2012
- Chinese envoy meets Krishna on Indian traders plight - Jan 04, 2012
- China values ties with India - Jan 05, 2012
- Visa row: Indian military team's China visit called off (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2012
- China sparks row, denies visa to IAF officer from Arunachal - Jan 06, 2012
- BJP welcomes quick government action on traders trapped in China - Jan 04, 2012
- India touches base with future China PM, maps future ties (Roundup) - Jun 06, 2012
- China cautions its citizens travelling to India - Jun 04, 2012
- Krishna meets next China PM, maps future ties (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- Indian diplomat ill-treated in Chinese court, India protests (Lead) - Jan 02, 2012
Tags: china beijing, chinese foreign minister, civil litigation, commodity, external affairs minister, fraud, hotel in beijing, hotel in yiwu, hub, India, indian consulate, indian journalists, indian traders, krishna, local court, locals, raheja, shanghai, yiwu china