Korean cargo ship drifts towards Chennai shoreDecember 30th, 2011 - 7:16 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 30 (IANS) Korean flag cargo ship OSM Arena, with a 14-member crew, has drifted towards Chennai shore and is facing the risk of running aground if another cyclone hits the coast, an official said Friday.
“Though the ship was anchored outside the harbour, it started drifting towards the shore as one of anchors was not functioning. Currently the ship is safe, the draft level is eight metres,” a Chennai Port Trust official said declining to be named.
“The problem will be if there is another cyclone before the ship is towed further into the sea,” he said.
Cyclone Thane, packing a wind speed of 140 kmph, made landfall on the coast between Cuddalore in Tamil Nadu and Puducherry Friday morning.
With one of its anchors faulty and the water current and winds strong, the ship started drifting towards the shore.
“We are trying to tow the ship to deeper waters. There are a couple of challenges. Firstly, the weather has to improve. Then, we have to set right the ship’s anchor that is not rolling back now,” the official said.
The ship has around 400 tonnes of fuel and it would be a problem if the ship runs aground, he added.
The OSM Arena is involved in a legal dispute for nearly two years over some dues and has been anchored outside the Chennai Port under court orders, the official said.
He said a Korean bank is the owner of the ship and the Chennai Port Trust is a party to the dispute.
According to the port official, the ship will be charged for the tow back and other engineering services rendered by the port.
- Cyclone Thane kills 15 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Third Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry; spares Andhra (Roundup) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills 33 in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Fourth Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane makes landfall in Tamil Nadu (Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone Thane to cross near Cuddalore, Puducherry - Dec 30, 2011
- Jayalalithaa orders Rs.150 crore for cyclone relief - Dec 30, 2011
- Coastal Andhra braces for cyclone 'Thane' (Lead) - Dec 28, 2011
- Rs.700 crore relief more for cyclone damage: Jayalalithaa - Jan 03, 2012
- High tidal waves lash Andhra coast - Dec 28, 2011
- Life limping back after Cyclone Thane's destruction - Dec 31, 2011
- Cyclone Thane kills five in Tamil Nadu, Puducherry (Second Lead) - Dec 30, 2011
- Cyclone threat along Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu coasts - Dec 27, 2011
- Cyclone Thane toll now 46, life limps back to normalcy (Lead) - Dec 31, 2011
- Cargo vessel runs aground, being towed away - Jun 04, 2011
- Dark new year for cyclone-hit Tamil Nadu districts - Jan 01, 2012
Tags: anchors, cargo ship, chennai port trust, cuddalore, cyclone, deeper waters, drifts, engineering services, friday morning, kmph, korean bank, korean flag, landfall, legal dispute, member crew, puducherry, tamil nadu, thane, tonnes, wind speed