Kohinoor Steel employees attacked in JharkhandOctober 3rd, 2008 - 8:29 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Oct 3 (IANS) Kohinoor Steel Friday filed a police complaint against unidentified villagers for allegedly attacking its employees and vandalising its plant in Seraikela-Kharsawan district of Jharkhand, company officials said.Villagers allegedly attacked company officials Wednesday night since the road leading to the area, which falls under Chandil police station, about 190 km from here, was blocked by about 60 trucks carrying coal to the steel plant.
Company officials claimed the villagers beat up five employees and three security guards, and forced the officials to stop production for nearly three hours.
“We have lodged a first information report (FIR) against unknown villagers. We are unable to understand why our steel plant was targeted,” Vijay Bodra, managing director of Kohinoor Steel, told IANS over telephone from Kolkata.
Lakshman Prasad Singh, superintendent of police of Seraikela-Kharsawan district, said: “We have started investigation in the incident. Suitable action will take against the culprits.”
This is second time that employees of the Kohinoor Steel plant have been attacked. In July 2007, Jharkhand Mukti Morcha (JMM) workers vanadalised the plant and forced the company to shut down for a few days.
“We sought security from the state government six months ago and till now no security has been provided to us,” Bodra said.
Kohinoor steel is one the few companies which started production in the state without getting iron ore lease. At present, Kohinoor steel produces 400 tonne of sponge iron and 405 tonne steel everyday. The company has already invested around Rs.2.5 billion in the state and plans to increase the production up to 2,000 tonne steel everyday.
- 130 landmines recovered in Jharkhand - Aug 04, 2012
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- Crisis in Chhattisgarh's mini steel plants - Nov 14, 2011
- Action likely against Jindal firm for violating apex court order - Aug 02, 2011
- 'Jindal's steel and power project will transform Bolivia' - Jun 16, 2011
- 15 killed in fire at Vizag Steel Plant (Lead) - Jun 14, 2012
- Over 100 Chhattisgarh sponge iron units face closure - Jan 15, 2012
- 25 held for attacking Jharkhand cement factory - Oct 24, 2008
- Karnataka ore transport ban affects Goa's iron plants - Jun 21, 2011
- Protests hit steel project in Odisha - Jul 23, 2012
- Policy matters, iron ore sourcing delaying steel plant: JSW Steel - Jan 10, 2012
- Steel ministry subsidy scheme for iron ore processing - Mar 26, 2012
- Six of a family charred to death in Jharkhand - Feb 26, 2012
- Nearly 50,000 Chhattisgarh steel workers face job loss (Lead) - Nov 20, 2010
- SAIL inks pact with Japan's Kobe Steel for Durgapur plant - Jul 10, 2012