Kochi now connected to Europe by shipNovember 14th, 2011 - 11:52 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Nov 14 (IANS) The International Container Transhipment Terminal (ICTT) here Monday announced that the first weekly service vessel, connecting Kochi directly to European ports, had berthed here.
The ship was MV Lahore Express, a Hong Kong flagged vessel of 260 metres length.
The vessel will make service calls to the major ports in Europe such Genoa, Tilbury, Hamburg, Rotterdam and Le Havre.
ICTT, which was launched in February this year by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, was developed on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis by the DP World.
“This is a very proud occasion for us at DP World, as the commencement of this service from ICTT will offer the trade in this region faster transit and reduced supply chain cost enabling to emerge as one of the most important ports for the subcontinent region,” said K.K. Krishnadas, CEO, DP World Cochin.
With this development, the South India trade fraternity can now connect their exports directly to Europe from ICTT on a weekly basis, with a shorter transit time besides having facilities making ICTT comparable with the best international ports.
Through this it is believed that key south Indian markets like Bangalore, Coimbatore, Tirupur and Salem will benefit hugely as this area contributes hugely in the country’s trade volume.
With this facility, exporters and importers here will no longer have to rely on transhipment facility, which was an expensive affair.
- Kochi connected to China via weekly cargo vessel - Dec 19, 2011
- PM to open container terminal in Kerala - Feb 06, 2011
- PM inaugurates mega transhipment terminal in Kerala - Feb 11, 2011
- Vallarpadam ICTT to be commissioned in August - May 25, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to dedicate new Kerala port to nation on Feb.11 - Feb 07, 2011
- Rs.750 crore sanctioned for ship repair unit in Kerala - Sep 14, 2012
- Gantries reach Kochi port after three-week wait - Jul 16, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal tomorrow - Feb 10, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal - Feb 11, 2011
- DP World seeks close trade ties with India - Oct 14, 2011
- Prime Minister to inaugurate Vallarpadam container terminal on February 11 - Feb 06, 2011
- 24-hour custom clearance at eight airports, ports - Aug 07, 2012
- Dubai World's default won't hit us: Kochi port chief - Nov 27, 2009
- Tamil Nadu approves second phase of outer ring road - Jan 23, 2012
- Mitsui shipping to double business in India - May 17, 2011
Tags: cochin, coimbatore, dp world, european ports, flagged vessel, india trade, indian markets, international container, international ports, krishnadas, le havre, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, south india, subcontinent, tirupur, trade volume, transit time