Kochi Metro project to go ahead: ChandyJune 6th, 2011 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 6 (IANS) The much-awaited but long-delayed Rs.3,048 crore (Rs.30.48 billion) Kochi Metro Rail (KMR) project, which is expected to solve the vexed traffic problems in Kerala’s commercial capital, is back on track with Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Monday saying the project will go ahead.
Addressing reporters here after a high-level meeting with ministers, legislators from Ernakulam district and Delhi Metro’s chief E. Sreedharan, Chandy said the government was keen on the project.
“We are working out a scheme where this project will take off and it would be through equity participation by both the centre and the state. It would be on similar lines like the Bangalore and Chennai metro,” he said.
The project, planned to run on the 26-km stretch between Tripunithura and Aluva in Kochi, has been in limbo for a long time.
Interestingly, when the project was first mooted five years ago in Kerala, the Dubai government took a cue and decided to set up their own metro rail. While their project began operating last year, the Kerala project is still on the drawing board.
Sanctions from the Planning Commission and the union urban development ministry have been obtained but the nod from the finance ministry is awaited.
Chandy, who last week announced his 100-day action plan, has this mega project on the agenda.
- Row breaks out over Kochi Metro Rail project - Jan 02, 2012
- Delhi Metro to do preliminary work for Kochi Metro Rail - Mar 17, 2010
- Kerala keen on Sreedharan for Kochi Metro - Jan 03, 2012
- Sreedharan is on board Kochi Metro - Jan 12, 2012
- Why no green signal to Kochi Metro, asks minister - Dec 23, 2010
- Sreedharan, Tarun Das in Kerala Planning Board - Aug 10, 2011
- Smart City Kochi pavilion to open next month - Apr 25, 2012
- Kochi Metro Rail gets government nod - Jan 20, 2009
- All mega projects are on course: Chandy - May 31, 2012
- Chandy to lead 'Emerging Kerala' road show in Mumbai (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Kerala government welcomes budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Green signal for Kerala high speed rail project - Feb 14, 2012
- Kochi Metro gets ok, protests over land (Third Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- Work on long-delayed Palakkad coach factory to start Oct 22 - Sep 19, 2011
- Chandy asks PM for Rs.375 crore endosulfan relief package - May 19, 2011
Tags: aluva, bangalore, chief minister, crore, delhi metro, development ministry, drawing board, dubai government, equity participation, ernakulam district, finance ministry, kerala, kmr, limbo, mega project, metro project, metro rail, planning commission, thiruvananthapuram, traffic problems