Kochi Metro gets ok, protests over land (Third Lead)July 5th, 2012 - 5:44 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi/Kochi, July 4 (IANS) The Metro rail for Kochi in Kerala has got the cabinet’s approval, it was announced Wednesday, even as protests erupted in the city against land acquisition for the project.
A number of people took to the streets in Kochi Wednesday accusing Kochi Metro of not discussing with them the land to be acquired.
“The officials come and go but are yet to give us a clear picture on how much land is going to be acquired and where. We stopped them from doing their work today,” said A.V. Sabu, who led the demonstrators.
The Kerala government expects the land to be acquired for the project in a year’s time, according to Mohandas Pillai, the official in-charge of land.
In New Delhi, Home Minister P. Chidamabaram said the network will cover 25 km and have 23 stations.
The total cost of the project would be Rs.5,181.79 crore. It is scheduled to be completed in four years.
“It will be fully elevated and run from Alwaye to Petta on standard gauge,” said Chidambaram.
The central government’s share will be Rs.1,002.23 crore and that of the Kerala government Rs.l,772.23 crore. External debt will be Rs.2,170 crore and state taxes will be Rs.237.33 crore.
Former Delhi Metro chief E. Sreedharan has been entrusted with the work in Kochi.
- Cabinet approves Kochi Metro (Second Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Kochi Metro rail gets cabinet nod (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Cabinet clears Kochi Metro rail - Jul 04, 2012
- PM lays foundation stone for Kochi Metro - Sep 13, 2012
- Kerala keen on Sreedharan for Kochi Metro - Jan 03, 2012
- Sreedharan is on board Kochi Metro - Jan 12, 2012
- Row breaks out over Kochi Metro Rail project - Jan 02, 2012
- Kochi Metro project to go ahead: Chandy - Jun 06, 2011
- Green signal for Kerala high speed rail project - Feb 14, 2012
- Why no green signal to Kochi Metro, asks minister - Dec 23, 2010
- We will miss Sreedharan's services: Dikshit - Dec 28, 2011
- Metro Man rides into sunset, to pass baton to Mangu Singh (With Image) - Dec 30, 2011
- Jaipur Metro likely by June 2013 - Jul 16, 2012
- Smart City Kochi, Kerala government to float skill academy - Jan 23, 2012
- Kerala looking for private investment in mega projects - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: central government, delhi metro, demonstrators, e sreedharan, external debt, home minister, july 4, kerala government, land acquisition, metro chief, metro rail, New Delhi, protests, rs 1, sabu, standard gauge, state taxes