Kochi international airport may get a second runwayMarch 19th, 2008 - 6:19 pm ICT by admin
Thiruvananthapuram, March 19 (IANS) Kerala has asked the central government to grant permission to more airlines to operate from the Kochi international airport, Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan said here Wednesday. “Several airlines have approached us to operate from Kochi. We have asked the centre (central government) to give necessary sanctions,” Achuthanandan, who is also the chairman of Cochin International Airport Ltd (CIAL), told the state assembly.
“We will also look into the need for having a second runway at the airport,” he said.
Thomas Chandy, a first time legislator, moved a calling attention motion regarding services at the airport, particularly baggage handling.
“Getting luggage is a big problem and after inquiries it has been found out that the employees handling the baggage section are poorly paid and hence they have no incentive to work. The air conditioners do not function properly,” Chandy said.
Chandy, a Kuwait-based businessman, said he uses the CIAL to fly abroad two to three times a month and the service is appallingly poor. He said several airlines are on the verge of stopping their service and the outstanding dues from various airlines have piled up.
Replying to Chandy’s complaints, Achuthanandan said the ground handling at the airport is done by Air India. “I am told they are doing a ok job,” he said.
According to latest figures, CIAL is the fourth biggest airport in the country after Mumbai, Delhi and Bangalore, in terms of number of passengers using the airport.
Currently 24 different national and international airlines operate from the CIAL.
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- Kochi airport plans expansion with rise in profits - Nov 13, 2010
- RAK Airways keen to operate more flights into Kerala - Aug 02, 2011
- HUDCO moves court for stake in Kochi airport - Nov 05, 2010
- Turkish Airways plane goes off runway in Mumbai during heavy rainfall - Sep 03, 2011
- Plane skids off runway at Kochi airport, two injured - Aug 29, 2011
- Gulf Air passenger plane skids off runway in southwest India - Aug 29, 2011
- Baggage woes delay Air India passengers at T3 - Nov 12, 2010
- Kerala will push low-cost airline, Islamic banking: Chandy - Nov 22, 2011
- Power cut hits London's Gatwick airport - Mar 10, 2012
- Kochi airport defers decision on charging user fee - Dec 20, 2008
- Airlines to begin check-in on Airport Metro from Friday (Lead) - Jun 10, 2011
- Helsinki Airport's new check-in and baggage facilities increase luggage capabilities by 43 percent - May 10, 2010
- Metro starts check-in for international flyers - Feb 23, 2012
- CIAL announces 10 percent dividend - Jul 29, 2009
Tags: air conditioners, air india, baggage handling, bangalore, businessman, central government, chandy, chief minister, cial, cochin international airport, international airlines, international airport ltd, kerala, kochi international airport, mumbai delhi, ok job, state assembly, time legislator, v s achuthanandan, verge