Khurshid to visit Bangladesh for water talksJune 14th, 2011 - 8:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 14 (IANS) Indian Minister for Water Resources Salman Khurshid is to visit Bangladesh soon to finalise an agreement on sharing of waters of Teesta and Feni rivers, a contentious issue between the two neighbours for nearly two decades.
Khurshid’s visit would take place on the invitation of his Bangladeshi counterpart Ramesh Chandra Sen, an official statement said here Tuesday.
“The invitation to Khurshid was extended when Water Resources Secretary of Bangladesh Shaikh Wahid-uz-Zaman called on him here recently. The visit will take place at a mutually convenient date,” the statement said.
The two neighbours share waters of 54 rivers.
Wahid-uz-Zaman was in New Delhi for the water resources secretary-level meeting with his Indian counterpart Dhruv Vijai Singh last week. The two sides concluded the framework agreement of the water sharing issue but sources said some differences had remained on the Teesta river waters.
While Bangladesh wants it to be on a 50:50 basis, India has proposed a 45:55 ratio. This technical issue is expected to be resolved during Khurshid’s visit, the sources said.
The water sharing agreement is likely to be signed during the proposed visit of Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to Dhaka for which dates have not been confirmed yet.
- Dhaka, Delhi agree on water deal (Lead) - Jan 10, 2011
- India to dredge river in Bangladesh - Jan 06, 2010
- Dhaka, Delhi resume talks on river water sharing - Jan 10, 2011
- Dhaka, Delhi hold talks over sharing Teesta water - Jan 04, 2010
- Dhaka, Delhi to exchange Teesta river data - Sep 30, 2011
- Tripura hopes for solution to river disputes with Bangladesh - Sep 04, 2011
- Not able to conclude Teesta agreement: Mathai - Sep 07, 2011
- Bangladesh accord pushes 14 irrigation schemes in Tripura - Jan 12, 2011
- India clears rail projects for Bangladesh, discusses water accord - Jun 08, 2011
- Bangladesh objections hold up Tripura projects: Minister - Aug 04, 2012
- With Mamata out, four CMs to accompany PM to Dhaka - Sep 05, 2011
- Teesta water deal an optimistic beginning: Bangladeshi daily - Jan 12, 2011
- Bangladesh, a country that shares 54 rivers with India - Sep 06, 2011
- PM's Dhaka trip: Teesta pact unlikely - Sep 06, 2011
- Mathai meets Mamata, says talks positive - Feb 18, 2012
Tags: chandra, contentious issue, feni, framework agreement, indian counterpart, indian minister, manmohan, manmohan singh, neighbours, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, river waters, salman, teesta, uz, vijai, wahid, water resources, zaman