Khajuraho to get train from ThursdayMarch 15th, 2012 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, March 15 (IANS) Khajuraho, known for medieval Hindu and Jain temples with erotic sculptures, will finally come on the railway map Thursday.
The Udaipur-Gwalior Express has been extended to Khajuraho, in Chhatarpur district in Madhya Pradesh.
Passengers will board the train from Agra Cantonment station around 11 a.m. and reach Khajuraho in the evening.
The proposal for a train to Khajuraho had been hanging fire for a few years. Agra’s tourism industry was keen that a direct train be provided so that tourists could visit the famed destination.
According to railway spokesman Bhupendra Dhillon here, the train to Khajuraho will run from Thursday. “From Udaipur to Khajuraho, the 1,106 km will be covered in 21 hours and 20 minutes,” she said.
Rakesh Chauhan, president of the Agra Hotels and Restaurants Association, welcomed the rail connectivity to Khajuraho.
“Domestic tourists from Agra and others who come to see the Taj Mahal will now be able to visit Khajuraho.”
The rail link to Khajuraho from Jhansi was completed more than a year ago.
- Train to Khajuraho and more: Rail budget brings cheer to Agra - Feb 26, 2011
- Trains back on track as Jats end blockade - Mar 20, 2011
- Heat hits tourism in Agra (With Image) - May 28, 2012
- Agra despairs over Western advisory - Oct 26, 2011
- Gujjar agitation: Agra tourism industry jittery - Dec 21, 2010
- Taj city shivers at four degrees - Dec 16, 2011
- Soon, fly into Taj city from global destinations - Aug 25, 2011
- Railways to launch train for Sikh shrines - Feb 03, 2012
- Record holiday crowd at Taj Mahal - Dec 26, 2010
- Bitter row over Agra's trademark sweet - Nov 02, 2011
- On World Tourism Day, Agra looks to air connectivity - Sep 27, 2011
- French or Spanish, Khajuraho cops speak it all (With Image) - Jun 10, 2009
- Agra promises a better deal for tourists - Aug 07, 2011
- Agra tourism industry looks forward to Air India connection - May 30, 2011
- Agra tourism industry hails train to Khajuraho - Mar 01, 2008
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,