Kerala’s trawling ban begins June 15; fish to be dearerMay 30th, 2011 - 5:01 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, May 30 (IANS) With the annual ban on trawling coming into effect June 15, the price of fish is set to soar in Kerala.
A meeting chaired by Chief Minister Oommen Chandy Monday decided to enforce the ban on fishing in the sea by trawlers from June 15 to July 31, an annual practice since 1988 during the monsoon, which is the breeding season for a variety of fish.
The ban extends to 12 nautical miles off the Kerala coast, and applies to all kinds of trawlers and mechanised boats.
The fish prices are already very high in the state, with the popular Seer fish costing over Rs.400 per kg. The fish is is expected to become costlier once the trawlers stop venturing out into the sea.
This ban aims at conserving fish species during the monsoon, which is the spawning season for many varieties of fish, including shrimp.
During the ban period all those working in mechanized boats, peeling sheds and fishing harbours in the state are provided with free ration.
- Kerala's 47-day trawling ban begins Friday - Jun 13, 2012
- Fish to get dearer with trawling ban ahead - May 26, 2010
- Fish in Kerala to get dearer as trawling ban begins June 16 - Jun 10, 2009
- Kerala bans mechanised fishing along its costs - Jun 15, 2009
- 'Hilsa an insight into Bengali society' - May 30, 2010
- Goa extends fishing ban so fish stays on plate - Aug 04, 2012
- Tragedy strikes Kerala waters again, two killed (Lead) - Mar 01, 2012
- No clue of missing fishermen or hit and run ship - Mar 02, 2012
- Two shot dead by Italian ship personnel, Kerala announces relief - Feb 16, 2012
- Italians who killed can't escape: Kerala CM (Lead) - Feb 18, 2012
- Test your nerves against sport fish in Himachal - Mar 11, 2012
- Kerala fishermen's daily tryst with danger - Feb 20, 2012
- Two die in Italian ship firing, India summons envoy (Second Lead) - Feb 16, 2012
- Man on board M.V.Prabhu Daya missing - Mar 04, 2012
- Is overfishing killing the hilsa in Bengal? (With Image) (June 5 is World Environment Day) - Jun 05, 2012