Kerala travel event expects record attendanceSeptember 11th, 2010 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Sep 11 (IANS) Billed as the biggest international travel event in the country, a three-day Kerala Travel Mart (KTM) 2010 starting Sep 23 is expected to be attended by a record 2,000 delegates from India and abroad, an organiser said Saturday.
Launched in 2000, this biennial event has become the flagship activity for promotion of Kerala tourism.
In its inaugural year, 160 sellers, 250 international buyers and 320 domestic buyers participated in the event. This year, the event is likely to see a record participation of 382 sellers, 551 international buyers and 1,621 domestic buyers.
The event will be held Sep 23-26 at the Bolgatty Palace Hotel at the Bolgatty Island here.
Speaking to reporters Saturday, KTM president Riaz Ahmed said the record registration by the buyers from different countries, including Poland, Finland, Mexico and South Africa, shows the global interest in Kerala tourism.
“‘Athithi devo bhava’ is the theme of the mart this year,” Ahmed said.
At the KTM, the buyers include tour operators, travel agents, airlines, event managers, travel writers, media personnel or anyone who has the potential to buy services that the tourism industry of Kerala has to offer.
“The buyers and sellers co-ordination committee of KTM 2010 is introducing speed networking whereby all participants get to meet each other at least once for two-and-a-half minutes,” said Ahmed.
“This is a structured networking opportunity to ensure maximum number of introductions for both buyers and sellers,” said Ahmed.
According to the tourism department, in 2009, 5.57 lakh foreign tourists and 79.13 lakh domestic tourists visited Kerala. The state earned a total income of Rs.13,231 crore from tourism.
The figures for the first half of the present calendar year show that there has been an increase in tourist arrivals — both domestic and foreign — as compared to the same period last year.
During this period, foreign tourist arrivals grew by 13.90 percent to touch 3.35 lakh tourists and domestic tourist arrivals grew by 5.59 percent to reach 41 lakh, official figures show.
- Kerala to promote souvenirs in a big way - Sep 09, 2010
- Kerala Travel Mart begins tomorrow - Sep 22, 2010
- Kerala Travel Mart draws huge response - Aug 01, 2012
- Tourism ministry steps up promotion campaign (With Image) - Dec 14, 2011
- Brand Kerala shines at Spanish tourism fair - Jan 24, 2012
- Kerala best tourist destination, shows survey - Feb 18, 2012
- Goa to host international travel mart - Aug 16, 2010
- India to host Global Tourism Mart - Sep 08, 2011
- Kerala kicks off international tourism road show - Sep 22, 2009
- Kerala chosen best tourism destination second year running - Feb 18, 2012
- Sachin, Waugh, Deepika to be Kerala Tourism ambassadors? - May 07, 2012
- Kerala records rise in tourist arrivals - Jan 19, 2012
- 'Countries should issue easy travel advisories' - Sep 07, 2011
- 'Travel mart helping Kerala tourism sustain growth' - Oct 03, 2008
- Kerala open to setting up motor racetrack - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: ahmed, bhava, biennial event, buyers and sellers, crore, domestic tourists, event managers, global interest, international travel, ktm, networking opportunity, record attendance, riaz, sep 11, speed networking, tourism department, tourism industry, tourist arrivals, travel event, travel mart