Kerala traders to protest FDI in retailNovember 25th, 2011 - 7:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, Nov 25 (IANS) The two main bodies of traders in Kerala will down their shutters Tuesday to protest the centre’s decision to allow 51 percent foreign direct investment (FDI) in multi-brand retail in the country.
Kerala Vyapari Vyavasayi Ekopana Samithi (KVVES) president T. Nasaruddin told reporters in Kozhikode that the protest on Tuesday is just a token one.
“We will take out demonstrations and stage dharnas in district headquarters because this is going to finish us. Close to five million people are going to be affected by the centre’s decision,” said Nasaruddin.
Leader of Opposition in the state assembly V.S. Achuthanandan told reporters in Kozhikode that the government should reverse its decision of allowing FDI in retail because the small traders would “vanish from the market”.
The Kerala State Vyapari Vyavasayi Samithi, the second organisation of traders, said the cabinet decisio will sound the death knell of small traders who “will succumb to the big corporates”.
“Just as what we see in the farmers community, where suicides are common, this indiscriminate act to please the corporates would drive the small traders to commit suicides. This has to be withdrawn and Tuesday’s protest is just the first protest by us,” KSVVS state secretary E.S. Biju told reporters in the state capital.
- Kerala traders shut down to protest FDI - Feb 22, 2012
- Bihar will not allow FDI in retail: Deputy chief minister - Jul 24, 2012
- Traders observe shutdown in Kerala - Feb 23, 2008
- Kerala traders close shops in protest against retail giants - Jul 10, 2008
- Strike against FDI in retail affects life in Tripura - Dec 01, 2011
- Tripura government opposes FDI in retail - Nov 30, 2011
- We are not against FDI in retail: Akhilesh Yadav - Jul 24, 2012
- Kerala traders to shut shop to protest entry of retail giants - Feb 21, 2008
- Shops in Tamil Nadu closed to protest FDI in retail - Dec 01, 2011
- SP doesn't favour FDI in retail: Akhilesh - Sep 03, 2012
- Trinamool had asked for FDI in its manifesto, says Congress - Sep 20, 2012
- Microsoft 'disappointed' with hold back on retail FDI - Dec 09, 2011
- 'FDI in multi-brand retail a bold step by PM' - Nov 25, 2011
- Traders across India to strike Thursday - Sep 19, 2012
- FDI stand-off: Government firm, BJP says issue before panel - Dec 02, 2011
Tags: biju, corporates, death knell, demonstrations, district headquarters, farmers, fdi, foreign direct investment, kerala state, kozhikode, leader of opposition, shutters, small traders, state assembly, state secretary, suicides, v s achuthanandan