Kerala Tourism wins prestigious awardJanuary 22nd, 2011 - 11:56 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 22 (IANS) Kerala Tourism, the state government’s tourism promotion agency, has won the award for the best international stand at global tourism fair Fitur held in Madrid in Spain, a statement said here Saturday.The press release said this was the first time an Indian destination won the prestigious award at Fitur, which is the second largest tourism exhibition in the world.
“We are overwhelmed by the response received at the fair. The simple, yet classy stand was a major crowd-puller and gave the Spanish trade fair an endearing taste of God’s own country,” Kerala Tourism Director M. Sivasankar said.
The 58.5 sq metre stand depicted the backwaters of Kerala and was designed by the city-based Stark Communications.
The award, which is based on the design of the stand, its ability to attract visitors and materials used in its construction, is given to the best three international stands. Colombia and Portugal were the other destinations which won the award this year.
“Our aim was to offer visitors an authentic experience of the land and the backwaters, which is one of Kerala’s most sought-after attractions,” said Shelton Pinheiro, creative director of Stark Communications.
Fishing nets, country boats and lanterns added to the rustic charm of the stand built with eco-friendly materials.
Kerala Tourism regularly participates in major international trade fairs to promote the state as a tourist destination.
- Kerala pavilion wins award at London travel mart - Nov 10, 2011
- Brand Kerala shines at Spanish tourism fair - Jan 24, 2012
- Responsible tourism: Kerala involves local communities (With Image) - Sep 08, 2010
- Cuba to increase hotel capacity - May 10, 2012
- Kerala offers freebies for diaspora to promote tourism - Feb 17, 2011
- Munnar rated after Tokyo as Asia's best destination - May 11, 2010
- British cabs to attract visitors to Kerala - Mar 27, 2010
- Kerala, Gujarat tourism promos target different segments: Piyush Pandey - Oct 09, 2010
- Kerala Tourism promo wins prestigious award - May 12, 2011
- Houseboats become USP of tourist hotspot Kerala - Apr 17, 2010
- World premiere of Kerala Tourism film in London Tuesday - Sep 18, 2010
- Palestine to woo tourists at France's tourism fair - Sep 15, 2010
- Bekal is destination next in 'God's Own Country' - May 10, 2012
- Two-month campaign to boost Rajasthan tourism - Dec 13, 2011
- Kerala Tourism to hold first-ever road show in Saudi Arabia - May 04, 2012
Tags: authentic experience, backwaters of kerala, creative director, crowd puller, fishing nets, fitur, global tourism, indian destination, international trade fairs, lanterns, pinheiro, prestigious award, rustic charm, spanish trade, sq metre, state government, tourism director, tourism exhibition, tourism promotion agency, tourist destination