Kerala to set up modern dairy farms to meet milk shortageApril 28th, 2009 - 1:26 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 28 (IANS) The Kerala government is working towards self-sufficiency in milk production by setting up four state-of-the-art dairy farms in the state on an outlay of Rs.20 crore.
Work on the first farm has begun at Kulathupuzha in Pathanamthitta district, Animal Husbandry Minister C. Divakaran said.
“The state today faces a milk shortage of 11 lakh (1.1 million) litres per day. But by 2011, when all the four farms begin production, Kerala will no longer be dependent on neighbouring states for daily milk supply,” Divakaran told IANS.
The other three dairy farms, which are at various stages of project finalisation, will come up at Mattupetti, Kolahalmedu and Palakkad.
“The state government will provide all the basic infrastructure while financial support will come from NPCBB (National Project for Cattle and Buffalo Breeding),” Divakaran said.
“The one at Kolahalmedu will be a joint venture financially supported by non-resident Malayalees,” the minister said, adding: “Each farm will have a minimum of 100 cows, this can go up to 200.”
Kerala has nearly 800,000 dairy farmers, associated with over 3,000 societies that produce about a million litres of milk per day.
There are 22 dairies in the state, of which 12 are affiliated to the state-owned Kerala Cooperative Milk Marketing Federation, while the remaining are privately-controlled.
Kerala has the lowest per capita availability of milk at 172 gram per day per head among southern states, while Andhra Pradesh ranks first with 269 grams a day. Punjab leads the national average with 961 grams.
- Kerala to get milk from Maharashtra to meet shortages - Feb 11, 2010
- Murrah milk drives Haryana's white revolution - Aug 22, 2012
- Haryana to set up 200 hi-tech mini-dairies - Jul 02, 2012
- Maharashtra welcomes lifting of ban on milk powder exports - Jun 02, 2012
- Israel keen on helping Goa meet its dairy deficit - Aug 25, 2012
- UP plans to set up milk plant in Lucknow - Aug 08, 2012
- Tirumala Diary to set up India's largest diary plant - Dec 14, 2011
- DS Group acquires dairy plant in Rajasthan - May 02, 2012
- Mother Dairy hikes milk prices - Sep 10, 2011
- Taj city goes without milk - Mar 23, 2012
- UP to ask NID to design packs for milk products - Mar 27, 2012
- Buffaloes to walk the ramp in Haryana - Feb 21, 2012
- Verghese Kurien: the architect of India's White Revolution (Obituary) - Sep 09, 2012
- Punjab farmers take to dairy farming for second 'White Revolution' - Dec 21, 2009
- Punjab-Israel to tie-up for dairy farming - Jun 05, 2012
Tags: animal husbandry, cattle, cows, dairies, dairy farmers, dairy farms, joint venture, kerala government, marketing federation, milk marketing, milk production, milk shortage, milk supply, neighbouring states, outlay, punjab, self sufficiency, southern states, state government, state of the art