Kerala to have new BPL listApril 22nd, 2009 - 3:56 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, April 22 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister V.S. Achuthanandan Wednesday said the state will have a new below the poverty line (BPL) list.
Addressing reporters here after the weekly cabinet meeting, Achuthanandan said there were lots of complaints about the present list and a survey would be undertaken to prepare an error-free new list.
“We have decided to hold a survey to prepare the new list and it would be done by teachers,” he said.
Leader of the Opposition Oommen Chandy said there was a mismatch between the figures of the state and the central governments about the number of the BPL families in Kerala.
According to the state government’s estimates, there are 25 lakh families in the BPL category.
“But according to the list of the centre, it is 15 lakh and it’s based on this list that the centre allocates supplies to the state,” Chandy told IANS.
He, however, declined to comment on the government’s decision to prepare a new list, saying he would do so after getting details about the “real intention” of the government.
The state’s total population is 3.2 crore.
The critics of the existing BPL list say many poor families were excluded from the list.
In the recent state budget, Finance Minister Thomas Isaac had announced that the government would give rice for Rs.2 per kilogram to all BPL families.
- Kerala expected more from rail budget: Chandy - Mar 14, 2012
- Kerala surveys cheer Congress, Left hoping against hope - May 11, 2011
- I have nothing to worry on WikiLeaks, says Chandy - Sep 02, 2011
- Fishermen case withdrawal: Achuthanandan alleges conspiracy - Apr 28, 2012
- Don't try honest Achuthanandan, Karat warns Kerala government - Jan 20, 2012
- Chandy writes to Achuthanandan on probe against son (Lead) - Mar 02, 2011
- Congress in poll mode in Kerala, plays 'rice' politics - Mar 25, 2011
- Kerala assembly session begins Monday - Sep 25, 2011
- Kerala assembly begins with opposition walkout - Jun 27, 2011
- Kerala special prosecutor in Palmoil case resigns - Feb 16, 2012
- Don't give Microsoft back-door entry, warns Achuthanandan - Jul 04, 2012
- Achuthanandan ordered Lok Ayukta probe to protect son: Chandy - Jul 15, 2011
- Stage set for Kerala assembly by-election - Mar 16, 2012
- UDF crumbling, will be defeated in local bodies poll: Achuthanandan - Sep 27, 2010
- Chandy writes to Achuthanandan demanding probe - Mar 02, 2011
Tags: cabinet meeting, central governments, finance minister, intention, kerala chief minister, kilogram, leader of the opposition, mismatch, poor families, poverty line, rs 2, state budget, state government, total population, v s achuthanandan