Kerala seeks chartered flights from Middle EastJune 19th, 2012 - 1:56 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, June 19 (IANS) Kerala Chief Minister Oommen Chandy said Tuesday that he favours chartered flights from the Middle East to clear the rush in the wake of cancellations by Air India.
He told the Kerala assembly that he had sought the necessary support for this from the central government.
He said this in response to a motion moved by opposition legislator A.M. Arif who said that every week about 20 international flights to Kerala were being cancelled on account of the strike by Air India pilots.
The July-September season sees the maximum traffic from the Middle East to Kerala as schools have vacations there. And the Onam festival falls in August.
“We have asked the (central government) to see if chartered flights can be operated to and from the Middle East on normal rates,” Chandy said.
“We are going to Delhi and will meet the civil aviation minister to (tell him about) the inconvenience caused to Keralites in the Middle East who are waiting to come to the state.”
Arif pointed out that the most affected were Keralites in Saudi Arabia.
“Thousands of Keralites are virtually stranded in Jeddah, Riyadh, Dhammam and other major cities in Saudi Arabia because they are unable to get a ticket.”
And he added that due fare hikes, a Kerala family spends up to Rs.3 lakh to travel to Kerala.
- Kerala diaspora in Middle East asked to shun politicians - Jul 08, 2012
- Chandy seeks immediate reduction in Middle East airfares - Jun 10, 2012
- Chandy blames Air India for high fares to Middle East - Oct 03, 2011
- Kerala nurses stranded in Saudi Arabia - Mar 11, 2012
- Chandy seeks waiver for quick launch of Air Kerala - Sep 13, 2012
- Hefty increase in air fares ahead of Onam in Kerala - Aug 26, 2011
- God's own country to get own airline - Sep 08, 2012
- 'Take up issue of stranded Keralites in Saudi Arabia' - Oct 19, 2011
- Festivities peak on Thiru Onam - Aug 29, 2012
- M.A. Yusuf Ali resigns from Air India board - Jul 21, 2012
- Air Kerala will start with flights to Middle East: Chandy - Sep 14, 2012
- Rain, spiralling prices may mar Onam revelry - Sep 05, 2011
- Kerala Tourism to hold first-ever road show in Saudi Arabia - May 04, 2012
- Chandy calls upon diaspora to make investors meet success - Dec 29, 2011
- Chandy to help end expatriates' passport woes - Sep 28, 2011
Tags: air india, cancellations, central government, chartered flights, chief minister, civil aviation, inconvenience, international flights, kerala assembly, lakh, legislator, major cities, maximum traffic, middle east, necessary support, onam, onam festival, opposition, saudi arabia, thiruvananthapuram