Kerala resort to launch solar-powered boatsAugust 31st, 2011 - 3:08 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 31 (IANS) Billed as a first-of-its-kind initiative, the Poovar Island Resort near Kovalam in Kerala is set to launch four solar-powered boats for its guests.
The boats, costing Rs.3.5 lakh each, would be officially launched by state Tourism Minister A.P. Anil Kumar Thursday.
Speaking to IANS, M.R. Narayanan, co-owner of the resort that overlooks the sea and the Poovar lake, said: “To reach our resort, a two-km boat ride is essential and hitherto we were using kerosene-driven boats.”
“The solar-powered boats are our own invention. We will not only save Rs.80,000 a month, but also the environment,” said Narayanan Wednesday.
The 22-acre resort has 78 rooms besides a 25,000 square feet ayurvedic spa. It also has 14 state-of-the-art floating cottages that lie on the Poovar lake overlooking the Arabian sea.
“Another green initiative that will go live tomorrow (Thursday) is the thermic fluid system which uses all the dry waste in the resort to power the laundry system,” said Narayanan.
The resort is also planning to set up a windmill to generate power.
- Coffee from Kerala, soon to 'Kic OFF' across India - May 05, 2012
- An eclectic mix - Japanese therapists and ayurveda massage - Feb 28, 2009
- This monsoon, head for Kerala's healing ayurveda touch - Apr 06, 2010
- UAE tests new solar-powered water desalination method - Jan 19, 2011
- Moscow to have solar-powered bus stops - Mar 16, 2012
- Solar-powered New York rock band performs in Srinagar - Nov 12, 2011
- Qatar makes pitch for FIFA World Cup in the desert - Sep 15, 2010
- Dubai launches first road lit by solar energy - Jan 17, 2012
- Cuba tries new methods to obtain energy - Jan 14, 2012
- Solar power can meet up to 7 percent of India's energy needs - May 24, 2011
- BHEL to set up 5MW solar power plant in Karnataka - Jun 18, 2011
- Russia to build solar power plant - Nov 03, 2010
- Bekal is destination next in 'God's Own Country' - May 10, 2012
- Asperger's no obstacle for young Kolkata inventor (Feature) - May 14, 2012
- Floating solar power plants to bridge energy deficit? - Nov 20, 2011
Tags: acre resort, anil kumar, arabian sea, boat ride, co owner, driven boats, invention, kerosene, kind initiative, kovalam, laundry system, live tomorrow, poovar island resort, r narayanan, solar powered boats, square feet, state of the art, state tourism, tourism minister, windmill