Kerala ministers pitch for state’s farmers in cabinetMay 23rd, 2008 - 6:38 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 23 (IANS) Two senior ministers from Kerala made a plea for their state’s farmers in the central government’s cabinet meeting Friday and expressed their unhappiness at their home district not being included in the modified loan waiver package. Defence Minister A.K. Antony and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Vayalar Ravi, both from Kerala’s Alappuzha district, were said to be unhappy that their home district was not included among the 237 identified districts that would get a debt relief of 25 percent of the outstanding amount or Rs.20,000, whichever was higher.
Finance Minister P. Chidambaram Friday announced that large farmers of 237 districts would also be brought into the ambit of its farm loan waiver scheme and expanded the package of Rs.600 billion to Rs.716 billion.
The ministers pointed out that Alappuzha being the major agricultural district should have been included in the package, informed sources said. Three districts - Wayanad, Kasargod and Palakkad - have been included in the loan waiver package.
The ministers from Kerala are also believed to have reminded their ministerial colleagues that the long-pending Kuttanadu package for the state has also not been cleared yet.
A committee headed by eminent agriculture scientist M.S. Swaminathan had recommended a Rs.18.4 billion package for environmental and agricultural preservation and development of Kuttanadu wet lands - once known as the rice bowl of Kerala.
However, the package has not been yet been given the green signal.
- Package to develop Kuttanad launched - Sep 05, 2010
- Third farmer suicide in a week in Kerala district - Nov 08, 2011
- Farmers in dire straits in Kerala's Wayanad: Panel - Nov 14, 2011
- Kerala's 12-point plan to stem farmer suicides - Nov 16, 2011
- Endosulfan pesticide affects numerous families in Kerala - May 01, 2011
- Polling proceeds smoothly in Kerala (Second Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- Battle lines drawn for Kerala local bodies polls - Oct 21, 2010
- Drought-hit Karnataka waives interest on farm loans - Aug 23, 2012
- Akali Dal rejects hike in paddy, cotton MSP - Jun 01, 2012
- Govt.'s move to allow more FDI in agri sector will hurt farmer's interests: Karat - Apr 01, 2011
- Financial help for 10 mn farmers in four states - Oct 20, 2008
- Moderate polling in Kerala, election official dies - Oct 23, 2010
- Work on long-delayed Palakkad coach factory to start Oct 22 - Sep 19, 2011
- Handloom weavers to get Rs.2,362 crore financial help - Dec 19, 2011
- Chandy asks PM for Rs.375 crore endosulfan relief package - May 19, 2011
Tags: affairs minister, agricultural district, agricultural preservation, alappuzha district, ambit, cabinet meeting, defence minister, farm loan, finance minister, higher finance, kasargod, ministerial colleagues, p chidambaram, palakkad, parliamentary affairs, rice bowl, swaminathan, vayalar ravi, waiver package, wet lands