Kerala eyeing Punjab, ChandigarhFebruary 2nd, 2010 - 5:22 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Feb 2 (IANS) Kerala is exploring the markets of Punjab and Chandigarh to woo tourists to ‘God’s Own Country’.
“Chandigarh and Punjab are unexplored markets. This is one of the most potential region where many rich people reside who really love to spend money and to travel places. To capitalise on this fact, we are significantly focusing on this area,” Kerala tourism department deputy director Suresh Kumar told IANS.
“We already have an established market base in big cities like Mumbai, Pune and Delhi, so now we can easily divert our attention towards Punjab and Chandigarh. Our idea is to offer tourists best tour plans at economical rates.”
Kumar, along with 32 travel agents from Kerala, came to this city to promote tourism prospects of Kerala and to establish links with local travel agents here.
As per official records, 5.98 lakh foreign tourists and 76.91 lakh domestic tourists visited Kerala in 2009.
Kumar said they are expecting 15 percent increase in both domestic and foreign tourists this year.
“Tourism business is booming in Kerala. This tour is very important for us as a huge chunk of tourists are coming from Chandigarh, Punjab and other north Indian states,” A.V.R. Srinivasan, general manager of Siena Village, a resort in Munnar, Kerala, told IANS.
- Kerala best tourist destination, shows survey - Feb 18, 2012
- Kerala Tourism to hold first-ever road show in Saudi Arabia - May 04, 2012
- Brand Kerala shines at Spanish tourism fair - Jan 24, 2012
- Kerala Tourism tapping more domestic market - Sep 09, 2010
- Kerala chosen best tourism destination second year running - Feb 18, 2012
- China to have tourism law - Aug 27, 2012
- Centre gives Chandigarh Rs.31 mn for Garden of Spring - Jan 03, 2011
- F1 race track in Kerala will boost tourism: Narain Karthikeyan (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Planning to holiday in Kerala? It's almost houseful! - Dec 07, 2010
- Sachin, Waugh, Deepika to be Kerala Tourism ambassadors? - May 07, 2012
- Chandigarh to shine bright at night (With image) - Jul 31, 2011
- More foreign tourists flocking to Chandigarh - Feb 28, 2010
- Kerala records rise in tourist arrivals - Jan 19, 2012
- Chinese city eyes more Western tourists - Mar 08, 2012
- Heli Taxi services launched in Himachal - Jan 30, 2011
Tags: chandigarh, chunk, deputy director, domestic tourists, economical rates, feb 2, god, indian states, local travel, money, mumbai, prospects, pune, siena, suresh kumar, tourism business, tourism department, travel agents