Kerala chosen best tourism destination second year runningFebruary 18th, 2012 - 11:14 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 18 (IANS) For the second year running, Kerala has been rated as the best tourist destination in India by a Nielsen survey.
The survey, conducted by Nielsen for Outlook Traveller, affirms the state’s huge tourist appeal, infrastructure and scenic grandeur.
“The Outlook survey has come as a big endorsement for Brand Kerala. It will spur us to take it forward with many more new initiatives,” said Tourism Secretary T.K. Manoj Kumar Saturday.
The survey also found Kerala as the second best state for winter destination after Goa, while Rajasthan and the Andamans occupied the third and fourth slots, respectively.
Two major factors for choosing the best winter destination, like in the previous year, were “scenic beauty” and “value for money”.
In the category of beach destinations, Kerala occupies the fourth place.
Another highlight of the survey is the coastal city of Kochi, which has emerged as the sixth best city for tourists after Jaipur, Bangalore, Delhi, Mumbai and Hyderabad.
Fort Kochi found a place in the list of 12 best heritage sites with a 10th place ranking.
This rating has come at a time when the arrival of international tourists into Kerala grew from 6.50 lakh in 2010 to 7.3 lakh in 2011.
The number of domestic tourists grew from 85 lakh to 93 lakh and on the revenue side, the total foreign exchange earnings grew by 11.18 percent to touch Rs.4,221 crore, while the total earnings grew 9.40 percent to reach Rs.19,037 crore.
- Kerala best tourist destination, shows survey - Feb 18, 2012
- Brand Kerala shines at Spanish tourism fair - Jan 24, 2012
- F1 race track in Kerala will boost tourism: Narain Karthikeyan (Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Kerala open to setting up motor racetrack - Apr 26, 2012
- Kerala records rise in tourist arrivals - Jan 19, 2012
- British sub-centre in Kerala to boost tourism - Jan 19, 2012
- World premiere of Kerala Tourism film in London Tuesday - Sep 18, 2010
- Efforts on to attract more to coastal Bekal - Aug 14, 2011
- Kerala to promote souvenirs in a big way - Sep 09, 2010
- Kerala Tourism ties up with Zapak Games to market state - Nov 05, 2011
- Kovalam to get massive makeover - Sep 29, 2011
- Chandy to unveil campaign on Bekal Fort May 10 - May 03, 2012
- Kerala travel event expects record attendance - Sep 11, 2010
- India gets its second international art fair - Apr 27, 2011
- Sachin, Waugh, Deepika to be Kerala Tourism ambassadors? - May 07, 2012
Tags: andamans, beach destinations, coastal city, crore, domestic tourists, exchange earnings, goa, grandeur, hyderabad, international tourists, kochi, lakh, manoj kumar, nielsen survey, outlook survey, rajasthan, tourism destination, tourism secretary, tourist destination, winter destination