Kenya Airways launches Nairobi-Delhi flightMay 16th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 16 (IANS) To capture the growing traffic between India and Africa, Kenya Airways Wednesday launched a direct Nairobi-New Delhi flight with one-way fare of Rs.22,000-Rs.28,000.
“We have waited long to start this route. We are confident this flight will be very profitable. We are focusing on Asia and India in particular,” Evanson Mwaniki, chairman of Kenya Airways, told IANS. New Delhi is the 57th destination for the airline.
“We hope to attract passengers like tourists, medical tourists, business professionals, transit passengers to other African countries, students and government delegations,” Mwaniki said.
The airline’s hub Nairobi hosts several Indian companies like Tata, Essar, Reliance Industries and Airtel.
The company said the new routes will help India’s trade with Africa as Indian companies seeks to gain access to the continent’s emerging markets. The airline connects nearly all major African cities.
Apart from Mumbai, the company is eying other cities like Ahmadabad and Bangalore for expansion.
“We are waiting for (new) aircraft including nine Boeing 787 Dreamliner. As soon as we get them, we will deploy them on various new routes including India,” said an official.
The company also plans to connect Delhi with rest of 45 destinations the airline flies to in Africa.
- Air India's first Dreamliner arrives after 4-year wait - Sep 08, 2012
- Qatar Airways ropes in two-star Michlen chef Vineet Bhatia (With Images) - Sep 18, 2012
- Despite strike, Air India passenger traffic grows - Jul 01, 2012
- SpiceJet to start daily flights to Dubai - Jun 08, 2012
- Bangkok Airways connects Bangalore and Thailand - Oct 04, 2011
- Air India to cut loss-making routes (Lead) - Jun 05, 2012
- South African Airways is sole carrier on Mumbai-Johannesburg route - Jun 14, 2012
- More Johannesburg-Mumbai flights - Jun 14, 2012
- Cathay Pacific announces Hyderabad-Hong Kong flight - Aug 23, 2012
- First Dreamliner aircraft delivered to Air India in the US - Sep 06, 2012
- UAE airline places $2.8 bn order for Boeing planes - Dec 13, 2011
- Tiger Airways Hyderabad-Singapore flight from September - Jul 02, 2012
- Virgin to restart Mumbai service in October - Mar 15, 2012
- Air India's Dreamliner to be in service from Sep 19 - Sep 12, 2012
- Etihad launches flights to Nairobi - Apr 03, 2012
Tags: africa kenya, african cities, african countries, ahmadabad, bangalore, boeing, boeing 787 dreamliner, business professionals, continent, emerging markets, government delegations, hub, kenya airways, medical tourists, nairobi, new aircraft, New Delhi, reliance industries, tata, transit passengers