Kashmir begins dredging of Jhelum river after 26 yearsMarch 24th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, March 24 (IANS) After 26 years, the Jammu and Kashmir government Saturday re-started the dredging of the Jhelum river to address the annual flood threat in the Valley.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah inaugurated the Rs.21.38 crore dredging scheme in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
“We should be amply prepared and alert to the threats of heavy floods so that we are not caught unaware at the time of emergency,” he said at the inauguration of the ambitious dredging scheme.
Abdullah said the government is working on a comprehensive flood protection project to increase the intake capacity of major rivers, strengthen the embankments, revive flood channels and introduce long-term and short-term measures.
The dredging operation in river Jhelum is part of this strategy, he added.
“We feel satisfied by constructing bridges, roads, schools, colleges, water supply installations and similar other development schemes as these facilities are in positive use of public, but when we create flood protection like facilities, we pray to God that we may not be compelled to put these measures in use,” Abdullah said laying stress on preparedness and alertness of the administration and the people to face the challenges of nature.
Dredging of Jhelum River continued from 1959 to 1986. The scheme has now been revived by the state government.
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Assam demands Rs.3,460 crore for repairing embankments - Jul 09, 2012
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- KMSS to launch stir over non-repair of embankments - Jul 20, 2012
- Flood alert in Kashmir Valley - May 29, 2010
- Flood alert in nine districts in Bihar - Sep 11, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Yamuna continues rising, Dikshit says no need to worry - Sep 10, 2010
- Will there be another Kosi disaster? - Nov 29, 2010
- Heavy rains spark fresh flood fears in Bihar - Sep 25, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- Woman washed away in Kashmir flash floods, alert sounded - Sep 16, 2011
- Salman Khurshid to assess Ganga flood control measures in UP - Mar 25, 2011
Tags: alertness, chief minister, constructing bridges, embankments, flood channels, flood protection project, flood threat, floods, inauguration, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, jhelum river, kashmir, north kashmir, preparedness, river jhelum, rs 21, state government, term measures, water supply