Karnataka power crisis worsens, to buy 300 MW from PunjabSeptember 30th, 2011 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
Madikeri (Karnataka), Sep 30 (IANS) The separate Telangana agitation has worsened the power crisis in Karnataka and the state will start buying power from Punjab from Saturday, Energy Minister Shobha Karandlaje said Friday.
“We have no option other than buying power from other states like Punjab. We will start purchasing 300 MW daily from Punjab tomorrow (Saturday) itself,” Karandlaje told reporters here, about 250 km from Bangalore.
The Telangana agitation for a separate state has brought Singareni Colieries’ production to a halt and also hit coal supply to Karnataka’s two thermal plants, increasing the state’s power shortage to 800 MW a day.
This has led to unscheduled power cuts in Bangalore and across the state for the last three days.
In the tech-hub, several areas go without power for up to four hours a day, each disruption lasting about an hour.
The tech-hub itself needs over 1,600 MW daily, according to Bangalore Electricity Supply Company (BESCOM) officials.
Karnataka depends heavily on hydro-power with around 65 percent of its requirement of over 7,000 MW daily met by it.
- Telangana stir hits Karnataka's power supply - Sep 26, 2011
- Massive power cuts in Karnataka, Bangalore spared - Oct 10, 2011
- Karnataka seeks more coal, power to stave off crisis - Oct 08, 2011
- Karnataka team in Delhi to ask for power - Oct 12, 2011
- Karnataka to buy 1,000 MW power daily for three years - Aug 17, 2010
- Telangana collieries strike hits power supplies in south India - Sep 15, 2011
- NTPC to set up wind power project in Karnataka - Jun 30, 2011
- Karnataka mulls mandatory use of CFL bulbs - Feb 28, 2011
- Southern power grid safe from tripping (Lead) - Aug 02, 2012
- 'Southern power grid safe from tripping' - Aug 02, 2012
- Telangana strike enters 25th day - Oct 07, 2011
- Opposition slams Maharashtra government for power cuts - Oct 11, 2011
- Coal shortage leads to power outages across India (Roundup) - Oct 12, 2011
- 'People's strike' brings Telangana to a halt - Sep 13, 2011
- NTPC to build 4,000mw thermal plant in Karnataka - Nov 04, 2010