Kannur airport to begin operations in 2015February 7th, 2012 - 6:39 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Feb 7 (IANS) Kerala’s fourth international airport at Kannur would begin operations in 2015, K.Babu, the state’s minister in charge of the airport, said Tuesday.
Babu told reporters here that the state government, which has a 26 per cent stake in the airport to be built under public-private partnership, had handed over the required land for the airport.
“Today we have transferred 453 acres of land to the Kannur International Airport Limited (KIAL). Earlier, the government had acquired 192 acres of land and the balance land would be leased out to them and for that the cabinet will make the decision shortly,” added Babu.
The airport would come up in an area of around 1,300 acres about 25 km from Kannur.
“The Cochin International Airport Limited will submit the detail project report in April and then the tender would be floated to find the builder. We expect that the first aircraft will touch down at Kannur in 2015,” said Babu.
The shareholding pattern that has been cleared by the KIAL would be 26 per cent for government, 23 per cent for the state-owned public sector organisations, two per cent for government companies and 49 per cent for small investors and institutional investors.
“Several state-owned public sector companies have come forward, seeking shares. Also we have received share application from numerous individuals. Those desiring to take shares can still come forward. The minimum amount for share application has been reduced from Rs.2,00,100 to Rs.50,000,” added Babu.
Former Air India chairman V. Thulasidas, currently the managing director of KIAL, said the total project cost of the airport has been fixed at Rs.1,130 crore, of which Rs.500 crore would come by way of equity and the rest through debt.
With the operationalisation of the Kannur airport by 2015, Kerala will be the only state in the country to have four international airports.
- European companies make a bee line for Kannur airport - Jun 25, 2012
- Small investors entitled for Kannur airport equity - Oct 17, 2011
- Kerala's stranded mega projects set to revive - Sep 11, 2011
- BPCL to take 21 percent stake in Kannur airport - May 04, 2012
- Foundation stone for Kannur airport to be laid Dec 17 - Nov 20, 2010
- Minister denies Kannur airport stake allotment - Dec 14, 2010
- Kerala cabinet clears sops for diaspora - Nov 16, 2011
- Foundation stone of Kerala's new airport to be laid Nov 1 - Jun 23, 2010
- 'Big sharks' won't get large slices of Kannur airport: Achuthanandan - Jan 12, 2011
- Kannur airport nod in view of Keralites' contribution: Patel - Dec 17, 2010
- Kerala will push low-cost airline, Islamic banking: Chandy - Nov 22, 2011
- Kerala approves medical college (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Chandy to lead 'Emerging Kerala' road show in Mumbai (Lead) - May 13, 2012
- Kerala to get fifth airport - Sep 02, 2010
- Achuthanandan to lay foundation stone of Kannur Cyberpark - Jan 13, 2011
Tags: air india, babu, cochin international airport, cochin international airport limited, crore, government companies, institutional investors, international airports, kannur airport, kerala, kial, managing director, public private partnership, public sector companies, rs 1, rs 2, rs 50, sector organisations, share application, shareholding