Kalyani Steel to set up plant in West BengalFebruary 21st, 2008 - 9:52 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, Feb 21 (IANS) Kalyani Steel Ltd, part of $2.1-billion global auto-component solution major Kalyani Group whose flagship company is Bharat Forge Ltd (BFL), Thursday inked a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with West Bengal Industrial Development Corp (WBIDC) to set up a steel plant. The proposed plant will have a capacity to produce one million tonnes of speciality steel. It will also have a 500-MW captive power plant.
“The deal has been finalised with the Kalyani Steel, WBIDC and West Bengal Mineral Development and Training Corp (WBMDTC) with an investment of Rs.65 billion,” Kalyani Steel Director Amit B. Kalyani told reporters here Thursday.
He said the state government has already short-listed two areas at Shalboni in West Midnapore district, near the proposed steel plant by Jindal Group, and at Burdwan district’s industrial township of Durgapur.
Kalyani Steel is a leading manufacturer of forging and other engineering quality carbon and alloy steels. The company was established in 1973 to fulfil the in-house requirement of forging quality steel of the Kalyani Group.
“We will conduct a study in both the areas keeping in mind all aspects to develop industries there. The detailed project report (DPR) is expected to be completed within 12 months from now,” Kalyani said, adding that the project was likely to be completed within 36-45 months from the day construction starts.
He said the total land required for the project has not been finalised yet and it will only be confirmed after the DPR is received.
Explaining the investment break-up, he said about Rs.45 billion would be invested for the steel factory and the rest for the power plant.
“The project would create direct employment of 3,000 people,” he said.
- Bengal inks land lease pacts with seven firms - Apr 18, 2012
- JSW Steel's Salboni project to 'restart' in August: Bengal minister - Jul 25, 2012
- Bengal government to sort out JSW's plant problems - Oct 29, 2011
- SAIL inks pact with Japan's Kobe Steel for Durgapur plant - Jul 10, 2012
- Sajjan Jindal's Bengal steel project to start soon - Jul 11, 2012
- NTPC committed to go ahead with Bengal project - Jul 18, 2011
- Trans Damodar Coal Mining Project inaugurated - Apr 13, 2012
- Some 400 Chinese business leaders accompanying Wen to India - Dec 13, 2010
- Shristi plans integrated logistic hub in Bengal - Jun 15, 2012
- SAIL investing Rs.20,000 crore for modernising Bengal units - Sep 10, 2011
- Haldia Petrochemicals expects Rs.10,000 crore turnover this fiscal - Jun 11, 2011
- ONGC to set up n-plant, fertilizer unit, solar projects - Dec 29, 2011
- JSW Steel plans to raise Rs.6,600 cr for Bengal project - Oct 08, 2009
- France wants greater investment in Indian infrastructure - May 13, 2011
- Bengal moves to recover WBIDC loans - Aug 07, 2012
Tags: alloy steels, bharat forge ltd, burdwan district, captive power plant, durgapur, flagship company, global auto, kalyani group, kalyani steel, memorandum of understanding, midnapore district, mineral development, quality carbon, rs 65, speciality steel, steel factory, steel ltd, steel plant, wbidc, west bengal