Kalka-Shimla track gets holiday special toy trainDecember 23rd, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Dec 23 (IANS) To cater to the Christmas and New Year’s eve rush, the railways Thursday started a holiday special toy train on the Kalka-Shimla track, an official said here.”A special train called Duplicate Shivalik started to and fro between Kalka and Shimla this (Thursday) morning and it will operate till the first week of 2011,” Shimla railway station superintendent G.S. Rajput told IANS.
The train has been started by Northern Railway.
He said Duplicate Shivalik is in addition to six other trains that normally run on the track. Each toy train on the 96-km-long railroad has seven wagons and can accommodate up to 200 passengers.
The five-hour journey on the narrow-gauge rail line is an exhilarating experience.
The Kalka-Shimla rail track was built by the British in 1903 to ferry Europeans to and fro this hill town, the erstwhile summer capital of British India.
The ascent begins from 640 metres (2,100 ft) above sea level at Kalka in Haryana and crosses Dharampur, Barog, Solan and Kandaghat before it reaches Shimla at 7,000 ft.
There are 102 tunnels on the rail line. A train takes about three minutes to cross the longest tunnel at Barog (5,000 ft).
- Sixth train on Kalka-Shimla track - Apr 25, 2011
- 'Bring Shimla's last heritage train back on track' (Letter from Shimla) (With Image) - Aug 12, 2012
- Group travel? Charter a train to Shimla (With Images) - May 17, 2010
- Himachal's 108-year-old heritage railway station gutted (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Fire destroys 108-year-old railway station - May 03, 2011
- Train services resume on Kalka-Shimla track - Sep 24, 2010
- Love on track - on Kalka-Shimla train - Apr 29, 2010
- Rail traffic restored on Kalka-Shimla track (Lead) - Jul 01, 2010
- Holiday special trains on Kalka-Shimla track stopped - Jul 09, 2009
- Rail engine derails in Himachal Pradesh - Jul 01, 2010
- Landslides snap rail traffic in Himachal - Sep 23, 2010
- Heritage walk to spread awareness about Kalka-Shimla railway line - Jul 05, 2010
- Special Kalka-Shimla trains start for New Year - Dec 27, 2009
- Another tragedy awaits Kalka-Shimla rail track? - Dec 22, 2008
- At 105, Kalka-Shimla railway declared World Heritage Site - Nov 09, 2008
Tags: ascent, british india, europeans, eve, haryana, narrow gauge, new year, northern railway, railway station, railways, rajput, sea level, shivalik, solan, superintendent, three minutes, thursday morning, toy train, tunnels, wagons