Jump in liquor sales ahead of Lucknow civic pollsJune 23rd, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, June 23 (IANS) Sale of liquor more than doubled ahead of Saturday’s municipal corporation and local body polls in the Uttar Pradesh capital.
With all the liquor shops closed for the weekend, the candidates have reportedly ensured that the voters’ evenings do not go dry.
There was huge demand of alcohol in the market for the last few days, said a salesmen at an Indian made foreign liquor (IMFL) shop here.
State’s excise department officials also said that in the last four days, IMFL sales had touched 3.22 lakh bottles, beer bottle sale had risen to 7.66 lakh and country liquor to 2,31703 bulk litres.
Police officials say the liquor is meant to “pamper” voters.
“This has always been the scene. But this time, the liquor sales went up unprecedented levels,” said a senior district official, who did not want to be named.
With more than 22.47 lakh voters electing a mayor from 12 contestants and 110 corporators from 1,679 contestants, “booze is flowing freely,” an official source admitted.
However, officials said that about the hasty purchases of liquor done in the past few days, little could be done.
– Indo-Asian News Service
- Municipal elections in Lucknow Saturday - Jun 22, 2012
- Liquor to cost more in Haryana - Feb 21, 2011
- Punjab on a 'high', to guzzle over 350 mn liquor bottles - Feb 27, 2011
- Liquor shops closed in Jharkhand to protest VAT - Jul 01, 2010
- UP's Bacchus lovers go from 'videshi' to 'desi' - May 16, 2012
- Kerala government says no to new liquor vends - May 27, 2011
- Haryana police recover 1,062 liquor cases - Apr 22, 2011
- We're in dire straits: Kerala distilleries - Aug 19, 2011
- NALCO's Q1 net profit down 41 per cent - Aug 16, 2012
- Punjab hikes liquor prices - Feb 22, 2011
- Liquor sales up; Keralites in party mood for Christmas! - Dec 22, 2009
- First liquor shop opens in Delhi mall - Apr 09, 2010
- Drive against illicit liquor trade in Delhi - Oct 13, 2010
- Liquor prices to go up by 6 per cent in Kerala from Aug 1 - Jul 30, 2012
- Andhra minister asked to quit over bribe charge - Feb 08, 2012
Tags: asian news, beer bottle, booze, bottles beer, civic polls, country liquor, department officials, evenings, excise department, few days, indo, june 23, liquor sales, liquor shops, news service, police officials, salesmen, sog, unprecedented levels, uttar pradesh capital