JI slams Gilanis bid to pardon SarabjitMay 12th, 2008 - 2:35 pm ICT by admin
Lahore , May 12 (ANI): Jamat-e-Islami (JI) Secretary General Syed Munawar Hasan has reportedly criticized Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilanis recommendation to President Pervez Musharraf to pardon Indian convict Sarabjit Singh on death row, after reviewing his case.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the JI leader condemned the unilateral show of softness by the Pakistani government towards Sarabjit who has been found guilty being involved in several bombing incidents in Pakistan in 1998 claiming several lives.
He urged the government not to delay the death sentence any further so that the requirements of justice could be fulfilled, reported The News.
He said that such decisions on part of the new government led to questioning of the motive as the Indian government kept returning bodies of Pakistani prisoners in sheer violation of all human rights accords.
The JI leader stated while the government kept a national hero, Dr A. Q. Khan, in confinement and ignored the matter, Indian agents were being pardoned and released on regular basis, which was show of weakness from Pakistani side.
Such one-sided acts to earn good graces of the Indians by the new government should be immediately put to an end as the Indian side had not stopped innocent killings in Indian-held Kashmir , the paper quoted the JI leader as saying in the statement. (ANI)
- India presses for Sarabjit's release, awaits confirmation (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Will meet PM, Sonia, Rahul, says Sarabjit's sister - Jul 02, 2012
- India renews request for Sarabjit's release, awaits clear picture (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Petraeus can't save US from defeat in Afghanistan: Jamat-e-Islami - Apr 30, 2011
- India calls for Sarabjit's release, upset at Pakistan's U-turn (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Krishna assures Sarabjit's family he will take up issue - Aug 17, 2012
- Nawaz sees conspiracies in Pakistan apex court's defiance - Mar 25, 2012
- Pakistan to release Sarabjit Singh soon, says lawyer - Sep 07, 2012
- ISI-CIA deal clinched Davis release, US denies paying blood money (Lead) - Mar 17, 2011
- JI to launch nation wide protest against India's involvement in Baloch insurgency - Dec 03, 2009
- Government should explain Sarabjit confusion: BJP - Jun 27, 2012
- Fazl vows not to let Shahbaz Bhatti's killing to be 'used against Islam' - Mar 06, 2011
- The wait ends: Surjeet Singh's family rejoices - Jun 27, 2012
- Pakistan does volte-face, says Surjeet Singh, not Sarabjit, to be released (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Pak politicians dismiss Gilani's 'evasive' address to nation 'mere eye wash' - Oct 18, 2010
Tags: confinement, convict, death row, death sentence, dr a q khan, good graces, hasan, indian government, jamat e islami, kashmir, killings, lahore, motive, munawar, national hero, pakistani government, pervez musharraf, prisoners, secretary general, softness