Jharkhand traders launch agitation against rising crimeSeptember 29th, 2008 - 2:58 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 29 (IANS) Unhappy with the rising crime graph in the state, Jharkhand traders Monday launched an agitation to highlight the threat to businesses and failure of the police to curb the menace.”It is indeed becoming difficult for traders to do business here. Criminals are roaming free and committing crimes without any fear,” president of the Federation of Jharkhand Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FJCCI) Manoj Naredi told IANS.
Naredi, demanding removal of inactive police officers, said: “It is the duty of the state government to create an environment conducive to business”.
Members of the Ranchi Goods Transport Association (RGTA) also kept their businesses closed Monday to express their support for the FJCCI protest.
On Oct 3, FJCCI members would block the entrance gate of the main secretariat for two hours. Naredi said FJCCI also plans to put hoardings at important places of the various cities in the state depicting the rising crime graph and failure of police.
The federation, which has come out with a crime graph of the state, said Jharkhand witnessed 1,141 murders and 1,073 cases of loot, theft and dacoity till July this year. In comparison, 1,099 murder cases and 1,714 cases of loot, theft and dacoity were reported during the whole of 2007.
“In Jharkhand, businessmen are looted and killed. Criminals are rarely arrested. Businesses can not function under the fear of criminals,” said Sharad Poddar, president of Jharkhand Small Scale Industries.
During last fortnight, four shops were looted in state capital Ranchi. Robbers looted Rs.1 million worth of electronic appliances, cash of Rs.100,000, mobile sets worth Rs.950,000 and electronic goods worth Rs.1 million.
- Jharkhand shops shut down over VAT - Feb 04, 2011
- Delhi crime spurt threat to people's safety: Court - Jun 10, 2012
- Jharkhand capital Ranchi turning into crime capital? - Jun 16, 2009
- Four criminals lynched in Jharkhand - Jan 25, 2012
- Murder, loot cases declined in Jharkhand: Minister - Dec 22, 2011
- A third of presidential electoral college tainted - Jul 12, 2012
- Jharkhand traders protest new Essential Commodities act - May 28, 2008
- Bank looted in Jharkhand of Rs.7 lakh - Dec 28, 2010
- Rs.8.5 lakh looted from Jharkhand bank - Dec 21, 2010
- Agra rocked by spate of looting, shooting, killing - Feb 13, 2012
- Rs.3 lakh looted in Ranchi - Sep 22, 2010
- Rising crime graph makes Jharkhand traders uneasy - Jun 09, 2008
- Jharkhand traders step up protest against VAT - Jun 16, 2009
- Dacoity accused attempts suicide in lock-up - Jan 21, 2011
- Muthoot robbery solved, six arrested (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010