Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plantAugust 1st, 2012 - 8:58 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Aug 1 (IANS) Jharkhand is considering a request by steel major ArcelorMittal for renewal of its MoU to set up a 12 million tonne greenfield steel plant in the state, an official said here Wednesday
“ArcelorMittal has requested to renew the MoU for setting up a steel plant. The request is under consideration of the state government,” A.P. Singh, Jharkhand industries secretary, told IANS.
“The local representatives first requested for land, and the Land and Revenue Secretary has written to the Bokaro district administration in May this year for land.”
ArcelorMittal had signed an MoU with the Jharkhand government in 2005 for setting up a 12 million tonne greenfield steel plant with an investment of Rs.40,000 crore.
The project, however, could not take off owing to land acquisition problems. ArcelorMittal has already been allocated coal blocks and iron ore mines.
According to sources, the company will set up a 3 million tonne steel plant in the first phase and later expand capacity to 12 million tonnes.
Company chairman L.N. Mittal had recently expressed unhappiness over the poor progress of the project. Asked about Mittal’s observations, the Jharkhand industries secretary refused to comment.
“Mittal Steel has started the process for mining of coal and iron ore. Jharkhand government will extend all possible help to the company to set up the plant in the state”, Singh said.
The company initially planned to set up the plant in the area bordering Khuti and Gumla districts, but land acquisition problems here have forced it to look to the Bokaro area.
- ArcelorMittal explores other Jharkhand sites for steel plant - Feb 22, 2010
- Jharkhand concerned about Arcelor Mittal steel project - Jan 09, 2010
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- Posco relents, to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Jun 04, 2010
- ArcelorMittal may shift plant to another site in Jharkhand - Mar 18, 2010
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- ArcelorMittal to pursue steel projects in Orissa, Jharkhand - Nov 27, 2009
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- Mittal pullout: Jharkhand says it has no information - Oct 05, 2009
- Mittal's steel project in Karnataka to get first priority - Jun 03, 2010
- ArcelorMittal again gets nod from Canadian company for takeover - Jan 05, 2011
- Rival betters ArcelorMittal's offer for Toronto mining company - Jan 03, 2011
- No information on Mittal pullout, say Orissa, Jharkhand (Lead) - Oct 05, 2009
- NMDC to acquire coking coal mine in Russia - Sep 24, 2011
- Tata Steel to pursue growth in Asia and Africa - Jul 23, 2012
Tags: acquisition problems, arcelormittal, coal, company chairman, district administration, greenfield, iron ore mines, jharkhand government, khuti, l n mittal, mittal steel, poor progress, revenue secretary, rs 40, state government, steel plant, tonnes, unhappiness