JD(U), MDMK expel two MPs each for violating whip on trust voteJuly 24th, 2008 - 5:04 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, July 24 (ANI): Both the Janata Dal (United) and the Marumalarchi Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (MDMK) today expelled two of their MPs for violating the party whip in the vote of confidence on July 22.
The UPA Government won the trust vote by 275 to 256.
In the July 22 trust vote won by the UPA Government by a margin of 19 votes, as many as 21 MPs belonging to different political parties, including the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), the Samajwadi Party (SP) and the Congress cross-voted. Ten members remained absent or abstained from voting.
Meanwhile, political parties continue to take action against the erring MPs who defied the party whip during the trust vote in the Lok Sabha on July 22.
Yesterday, the BJP expelled eight erring members, while Janta Dal (Secular), Telugu Desam Party and Biju Janta Dal one each for violating the party whips.
Shiromani Akali Dal also expelled its Ropar MP Sukhdev Singh Libra from the party for defying the whip during the trust vote. (ANI)
- Cross-voting in Karnataka setback to Sangma - Jul 22, 2012
- BJP stunned as Karnataka, Himachal, Jharkhand lawmakers cross-vote (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Vaiko quits AIADMK alliance over seat sharing disagreement - Mar 20, 2011
- BJP loses faces in Karnataka as Pranab gets more votes (Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- RJD expels two for cross-voting in Rajya Sabha polls - Jun 18, 2010
- Karnataka chief minister sure of winning Thursday's bypoll - Dec 21, 2011
- BJP expels Jammu and Kashmir leader Chaman Lal Gupta (Lead) - Jun 01, 2011
- BJP expels six Jammu and Kashmir legislators - Oct 09, 2011
- Government protecting corrupt ministers: Advani - Oct 03, 2011
- Sangma gets less than expected votes from MPs - Jul 23, 2012
- Presidential polls: Fear of poaching haunts Chhattisgarh parties - Jul 10, 2012
- A total of 21 MPs cross-voted during Parliament trust motion - Jul 23, 2008
- Vote count on for presidential poll (Second Lead) - Jul 22, 2012
- Expelled Jammu and Kashmir legislators to support Sangma - Jul 15, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: akali, bharatiya janata party, bjp, congress, dravida, jd, libra, Lok Sabha, mp, mps, New Delhi, party whip, political parties, ropar, Samajwadi Party, sukhdev, telugu desam party, trust vote, UPA, vote of confidence