Jaypee Group, Larsen and Toubro tie up for thermal project (Lead)August 12th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 12 (IANS) Engineering and construction major Larsen and Toubro (L&T) will supply and erect boiler and steam turbines for a 1,320-MW thermal power project that Jaiprakash Power is setting up in Madhya Pradesh.
The two companies Wednesday signed an agreement in this regard.
According to the Rs.4,000-crore agreement, L&T-MHI Ltd, a joint venture between L&T and Japan’s Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, will supply boiler to the thermal project coming up in Singrauli, while steam turbine will be supplied by L&T alone.
The project at Singrauli district in Mahdya Pradesh comprises two 660-MW super-critical thermal power units.
The first unit is expected to be commissioned in 45 months and the second in 51 months.
The contract was awarded to L&T through international competitive bidding, the companies said in a joint statement.
“This is a very prestigious project for the group, we will be investing Rs.8,000 crore for setting up the thermal power plant and we will be adding 2,000 MW power generation capacity during the current five-year plan period ending 2012,” said Manoj Gaur, executive chairman of Jaiprakash Associates.
With this project, L&T has expanded its list of super-critical equipment supply orders. It earlier won a 1,600-MW steam turbine generator order from Andhra Pradesh Power Development Corp.
“The large gap that exists between the demand for power in India and the installed capacity offers us a great business opportunity,” L&T chairman and managing director said A.M. Naik said.
- Jaypee Group, Larsen and Toubro tie up for thermal project - Aug 12, 2009
- Court declines Larsen and Toubro's plea ro stay bidding - Sep 14, 2010
- BGR Energy partners with Hitachi for power equipment - Aug 06, 2010
- 260 percent power capacity added between 10th and 11th Plans - Aug 17, 2012
- BGR-Hitachi power equipment plants to go on stream in 2013 - Sep 16, 2011
- BHEL starts supplying super critical boilers - Apr 04, 2012
- Indian power industry poised for major growth: Shinde - Jan 19, 2012
- L&T bags Rs.1,449 crore order for a Chhattisgarh power plant - Oct 19, 2010
- BGR Energy bags Rs.2,168 crore order - Oct 25, 2010
- NTPC order will be met with local, imported machines: BGR - Sep 15, 2011
- India can compete with China in boilers - Jul 06, 2010
- Tata Power's 800 MW thermal plant operational in Gujarat - Jul 19, 2012
- OPG Power to increase capacity to 740 MW by 2013 - Jul 20, 2012
- Bengal to add 1,600 MW with Santaldih plant - Nov 22, 2011
- India takes first step towards ultra super-critical boilers - Jan 20, 2012
Tags: boiler, competitive bidding, critical equipment, executive chairman, gap, jaiprakash associates, jaypee group, joint venture, larsen and toubro, madhya pradesh, managing director, mhi, mitsubishi heavy industries, naik, plan period, power generation capacity, prestigious project, steam turbine generator, steam turbines, thermal power plant