Jay Shree to export tea worth Rs.600 mn in 2008-09June 27th, 2008 - 10:18 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 27 (IANS) Jay Shree Tea and Industries, part of the BK Birla group, Friday said it would export tea worth Rs.600 million ($14.3 million) in the current fiscal, up from Rs.490 million last year. “Last year we exported Rs.490 million worth of tea and this year we are confident that exports would touch Rs.600 million. Production of tea would be around 22 million-kg in 2008-09,” chairman B.K. Birla told reporters here on the sidelines of the company’s annual general meeting.
Jay Shree Tea has gardens in Assam and Darjeeling.
The company produced 18.5 million kg of tea in the last fiscal.
Jay Shree has recently took over Jayantika Tea estate at Dooars in West Bengal that produces 1.1 million-kg of tea a year.
Price realisation of Assam gardens’ tea during May-June has gone up by Rs.17 per kilogram over prices prevailing in the year-ago period.
Realisation of Darjeeling gardens’ tea is up by Rs.15 per kilogram for the same period.
Talking about the impact of the Gorkhaland agitation in Darjeeling, Birla said Jay Shree’s gardens were closed for three days this month.
“Things have started normalising in Darjeeling,” he added.
- Jay Shree Tea fetches higher returns - Jul 26, 2012
- Jay Shree Tea eyes gardens in Kenya, Uganda - Jun 29, 2009
- Indian tea makers fear lacklustre exports - Mar 28, 2012
- Technical glitch hits Darjeeling tea e-auction plan - Jun 18, 2012
- Tea exporters turn to Russia following Iran crisis - Feb 08, 2012
- Jay Shree Tea to buy out another tea garden in Africa - Jun 25, 2010
- MARS Group aiming to produce 5 mn kg of tea in 2013 - Dec 21, 2011
- Camellia Plc 'very interested' in acquiring Assam tea gardens - Apr 18, 2012
- Duncan not to hike tea prices: Goenka - Dec 20, 2011
- Jay Shree Tea eyes increased production - Sep 22, 2011
- Green tea business grows in India amid health awareness - Feb 26, 2012
- Darjeeling Dooars, Terai tea gardens to lose over Rs.220 crore - Aug 11, 2011
- At $35 a kg, Assamese man's organic tea takes foreign markets by storm (Business Feature - With Image) - Jun 26, 2012
- Gorkha union lifts embargo on Darjeeling tea export - Mar 30, 2011
- Jay Shree Tea to acquire M.P. Chini Industries - Mar 22, 2010