Japan’s major automakers cut output in AprilMay 28th, 2009 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, May 28 (DPA) Japan’s major automakers suffered production cuts in April amid declining sales caused by the global economic turmoil, the firms said Thursday.
Leading carmaker Toyota Motor Corp’s global output plunged almost 50 percent in April to 366,125 units from the corresponding month a year before, it said.
Domestic output also fell 56.1 percent to 145,516 units, as sales within Japan dropped 32.3 percent to 77,634 units. Overseas output declined 44.3 percent to 220,609 units.
Exports tumbled 70.9 percent to 69,194 units year-on-year. Global production of Toyota and its subsidiaries, Daihatsu Motor Co and Hino Motors Ltd, declined 46.5 percent to 433,979 units.
Japan’s second-largest automaker Honda Motor Co suffered a global production decline in April of 231,399 units, 29.7 percent down from a year before.
Although domestic output sank 37.5 percent to 57,066 units, Honda’s domestic sales inched up 1.8 percent to 46,060 units, which was the first rise in six months, the company said.
Overseas production fell 26.7 percent to 174,333 units, and exports plunged 70.4 percent to 16,418 units.
Nissan Motor Co also cut its global output slid 38.2 percent to 183,248 units. Its domestic sales in April dropped 31.7 per cent from a year earlier to 29,533 units.
Domestic production fell 49.8 percent to 49,663 units as overseas output declined 32.5 percent to 133,585 units, the major Japanese automaker said.
- South Korea's auto sales grow - Jul 02, 2012
- South Korea's auto sales tumble - Sep 03, 2012
- GM may replace production-hit Toyota as No 1 automaker - Apr 23, 2011
- Toyota, Honda announce production cuts in North America - Apr 09, 2011
- Auto production hits record level in Mexico - Oct 18, 2011
- South Korea's auto sales rebound - Mar 02, 2012
- Honda Motor quarterly net profit surges - Jul 31, 2012
- In a subdued auto market, Asian companies log growth in July (Roundup) - Aug 01, 2012
- Toyota cuts sales target in Indonesia - Nov 08, 2011
- South Korean carmakers' exports hit record high - Apr 09, 2012
- Slowdown, inflationary pressures affect automobile sales in August (Roundup) - Sep 01, 2012
- Honda to recall 437,763 vehicles over faulty air bags - Feb 10, 2010
- Chinese firm plans aggressive auto export - Apr 22, 2012
- Tata Motors halts production at Jamshedpur plant - Jun 28, 2012
- Honda Japan's nine-month net profit plummets 71 percent - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: automakers, daihatsu, daihatsu motor, decline, dpa, global economic turmoil, global output, global production, hino motors ltd, honda motor, honda motor co, japanese automaker, largest automaker, nissan, nissan motor, nissan motor co, six months, subsidiaries, toyota motor, toyota motor corp