Japanese chipmaker files for bankruptcyFebruary 27th, 2012 - 7:23 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Feb 27 (IANS) Japan’s Elpida Memory Inc said it filed for bankruptcy protection on Monday with 448 billion yen (about $5.55 billion) in debt, the biggest bankruptcy filing by a Japanese manufacturer.
As Japan’s sole maker of dynamic random-access memory (DRAM) chips, Elpida was hurt by weak prices after a surge in demand for Apple Inc’s iPad, which is much less reliant on DRAM chips than conventional PCs, reported Xinhua.
The manufacturer was also hobbled with heavy capital spending to keep pace with well-funded South Korean rivals Samsung Electronics Co, while a strong yen further dampened its global competitiveness.
Analysts say the filing raised concerns that the curtain could be drawn on Japan in the PC memory chip business that it once dominated.
But, speaking in a briefing, Japanese Trade Minister Yukio Edano said he hoped domestic DRAM production could be continued.
The company, formed more than a decade ago by the merger of several large Japanese chipmakers’ struggling DRAM operations, is scrambling to meet deadlines in the next two months to repay 92 billion yen in bonds and loans.
- Micron to acquire Japanese chipmaker - Jul 03, 2012
- Samsung Electronics' operating profit grows 13 percent in Q3 - Oct 28, 2011
- Samsung has not infringed Apple's key patent: Tokyo court - Aug 31, 2012
- Apple sues Samsung over Galaxy phones, tablets - Apr 19, 2011
- Japan's exports fall in November - Dec 21, 2011
- Japan expands nuclear evacuation zone - Apr 22, 2011
- Japan's exports fell in October - Nov 21, 2011
- Japan may go without n-power - Apr 16, 2012
- World's leading electronics fair opens in Berlin - Sep 04, 2011
- Samsung to build memory chip plant in China - Apr 11, 2012
- Partner Japan to have 26 percent stake in DMIC - Apr 30, 2012
- Apple lawyer claims that Samsung copied iPhone technology - Aug 01, 2012
- Rumor has it that iPhone 5 is going to have a 4-inch display - May 21, 2012
- Japan's central bank holds key rate steady - Dec 21, 2011
- Japan, South Korea plan big oil investments in Venezuela - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: bankruptcy filing, bankruptcy protection, chip business, dram chips, dram operations, dram production, dynamic random access memory, edano, elpida memory, global competitiveness, ipad, japanese chipmakers, japanese manufacturer, japanese trade, memory chip, memory dram, pc memory, random access memory, samsung electronics, samsung electronics co