Japan unveils $256 bn economic stimulus planDecember 12th, 2008 - 9:32 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Dec 12 (Xinhua) Japanese Prime Minister Taro Aso Friday unveiled a new 23 trillion yen ($256 billion) package to stimulate economy amid global recession, bringing the government’s total stimulus package to more than $550 billion.Aso said the new package involves 10 trillion yen of fiscal measures, including 1 trillion yen for housing and other support for temporary workers who have lost accommodation provided by their previous employers.
The government will also add 1 trillion yen to the local allocation tax to facilitate local governments create new job opportunities.
Thirteen trillion yen will be used in financial support, such as loan guarantees to small and midsize companies.
The spending will be appropriated in the second supplementary budget for fiscal 2008 and the initial budget for fiscal 2009.
Japan’s economy has officially entered recession with negative growth reported for two consecutive quarters.
On Saturday, Aso will meet with government leaders of China and South Korea to discuss regional cooperation on coping with the financial crisis.
- Japanese government approves $154 bn stimulus plan - Apr 10, 2009
- Japan to draw up largest-ever stimulus worth $100 bn - Apr 06, 2009
- Japan to implement bigger economic stimulus measures - Mar 13, 2009
- Japan announces new $276-bn economic stimulus package - Oct 30, 2008
- Japanese PM vows to combat yen's rise - Oct 28, 2011
- Japan unveils fresh stimulus package - Dec 08, 2009
- Japan may need 3 extra budgets to finance reconstruction work in tsunami struck areas: Minister - Mar 22, 2011
- Tokyo to cover all reconstruction costs in quake-hit areas - Mar 28, 2011
- Japan's GDP plummets 12.7 percent amid record export drop (Lead) - Feb 16, 2009
- Japan's Panasonic projects wider loss for current fiscal - Feb 03, 2012
- Susidies to be cut soon, says Rangarajan (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- Japan's exports fall in November - Dec 21, 2011
- Policy package in Japan to rein in yen's rise - Sep 20, 2011
- Japan approves extra budget for economic stimulus package - Oct 16, 2008
- Business confidence in Japan falls 34-year low - Dec 15, 2008