Japan stocks down despite interest-rate cutDecember 19th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, Dec 19 (DPA) Stocks in Tokyo closed lower Friday as a decision by the Bank of Japan to lower its key interest rate to 0.1 percent failed to create optimism among investors.The benchmark Nikkei 225 Stock Average closed down 78.71 points, or 0.9 percent, at 8,588.52.
The broader Topix index of all first-section issues also declined 4.26 points, or 0.5 percent, to 834.43.
For the week, however, the two indices posted gains. The Nikkei was up 4.3 percent and the Topic 2.6 percent.
The Bank of Japan ended a two-day meeting Friday, after which it cut its overnight lending rate from 0.3 percent as expected, as the world’s second-largest economy finds itself in recession.
The central bank had been under pressure from the government to stimulate the contracting economy by pumping more money into financial markets to ease a credit crunch and to prevent a further rise in the rapidly appreciating yen.
The bank’s policy board voted 7-1 for the reduction, bringing its key rate close to its near-0-percent rate during its economic crisis of the 1990s.
On currency markets at midday, the dollar was quoted at 89.15-20 yen, up from Thursday’s 5 p.m. quote of 87.91-92 yen.
The euro was quoted at $1.4290-95, down from $1.4418-20 late Thursday, and at 127.42-47 yen, up from 126.75-79 yen.
- Japan's central bank holds key rate steady - Dec 21, 2011
- Tokyo stocks down on worries about domestic finances, strong yen - Nov 24, 2009
- Tokyo stocks up on bargain buys (Lead) - Nov 25, 2009
- Honda Japan's nine-month net profit plummets 71 percent - Jan 31, 2012
- Tokyo stocks mixed in morning trading - Nov 25, 2009
- Sensex closes 81 points higher as August derivatives end (Second Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Japan's central bank sees economy improving - Oct 11, 2011
- Japan's GDP growth lowered to 5.6 percent - Dec 09, 2011
- Sensex down 55 points as August derivatives end (Lead) - Aug 30, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Japanese PM vows to combat yen's rise - Oct 28, 2011
- Sensex down 75 points, Jindal Steel slumps (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Japan's exports fell in October - Nov 21, 2011
- Sensex down almost 75 points - Aug 02, 2012
- Japan posts first annual trade deficit in 31 years in 2011 - Jan 25, 2012