Japan logs first current account deficit in 13 yearsMarch 9th, 2009 - 2:16 pm ICT by IANS
Tokyo, March 9 (Xinhua) Japan logged its first current account deficit in 13 years in January of 172.8 billion yen ($1.8 billion), the Finance Ministry data showed Monday.
It was the first current account deficit since January 1996 and the largest since comparable data became available in January 1985, the government said.
Exports dived 46.3 percent from a year earlier to 3.282 trillion yen ($33.8 billion), down for the fourth consecutive month.
Imports tumbled 31.7 percent to 4.127 trillion yen ($42.54 billion), down for the third straight month as the crude oil price plunged, the ministry said.
The balance of trade in goods and services posted a deficit of 1,100.2 billion yen ($11.3 billion), while the deficit in merchandise trade totaled 844.4 billion yen ($8.7 billion).
The current account balance - the broad gauge of trade - is the difference between a country’s income from foreign sources and foreign obligations payable, excluding net capital investment.
Japan historically holds a large current account surplus thanks to the brisk export of electronic, cars and other products. The economic crisis has dragged the country into the worst post-bubble economy slowdown.
- Japan's current account surplus drops - Jun 08, 2012
- Japan posts first annual trade deficit in 31 years in 2011 - Jan 25, 2012
- Japan's exports fell in October - Nov 21, 2011
- Japan's current account surplus falls - Jul 09, 2012
- Japan books trade surplus - Mar 22, 2012
- Japan's fiscal-year current account surplus falls - May 10, 2012
- Japan's central bank holds key rate steady - Dec 21, 2011
- Japan's 2011 current account surplus falls - Feb 08, 2012
- Japan's current-account surplus rose 76.9 percent in November - Jan 12, 2010
- India's exports up 10.1 percent to $25.4 bn in January - Feb 09, 2012
- Japan's exports fall in November - Dec 21, 2011
- India's July exports dip 14 percent - Aug 14, 2012
- Japan's current-account surplus shrinks for first time in 7 years - May 13, 2009
- Japan logs record trade deficit in January - Feb 25, 2009
- Exports drive deficit down on New Zealand balance sheets - Mar 21, 2012
Tags: 13 years, account balance, account surplus, balance of trade, broad gauge, bubble economy, capital investment, comparable data, crude oil price, current account deficit, economic crisis, electronic cars, finance ministry, foreign sources, merchandise trade, ministry data, slowdown, tokyo march, xinhua, yen