Jammu and Kashmir to generate 20,000 MW from solar energy by 2020June 14th, 2010 - 7:20 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, June 14 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir will generate 20,000 megwatts (MW) from solar energy by 2020, mostly in Ladakh region of the state, union New and Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah said Monday.
“The use of solar energy will help maintain the balance of environment,” Abdullah said in a public meeting in Drass, known as the gateway to Ladakh.
Possibilities will also be explored to produce more power from water and wind energy to minimise the huge expenditure incurred on exploitation of conventional source of energy, he said.
Abdullah said his ministry has sanctioned Rs.473 crore to generate solar power in Ladakh where people have very little access to conventional electricity.
He said that people interested in installing solar heating devices in their houses will be provided interest-free loans from the banks.
Eleven hydro electric power projects are under execution in the area which on completion will produce about 12 MW of power, a press release said.
The statement said the minister “instructed the concerned officers to exploit the natural resources to harness the power potential available in the area and to make proper use of funds earmarked for the specific projects.”
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- Nitish Kumar's house, office to go green - Jul 29, 2011
- 21 hydro projects to start in Himachal this year - Jan 07, 2011
- Bhilwara Energy ties up Rs.663 crore for Nepal power plant - Jan 11, 2012
- India to generate 1,000 megawatts of solar power by 2013: Abdullah - Jul 25, 2010
- Solar and wind energy to light up remote Kashmir areas - Dec 26, 2011
- Rs.4,900 crore FDI in renewable energy sector - Aug 26, 2011
- Reliance Power leads hydel projects in Himachal Pradesh: Dhumal - Dec 22, 2011
- Tibet to have solar power generation base - Apr 17, 2012
- Jammu and Kashmir has huge power deficit - Feb 25, 2011
- Farooq advocates increased use of solar power (Lead) - Jun 17, 2010
- Spanish firm plans $615 mn solar energy project in Chile - May 17, 2012
- Tata Power's 800 MW thermal plant operational in Gujarat - Jul 19, 2012
- Hydro-power key to India's energy security: Study - Jun 21, 2012
- Finland offers Kashmir help in harnessing renewable energy - Jun 12, 2011
Tags: conventional electricity, crore, drass, energy minister, farooq abdullah, hydro electric power, interest free loans, jammu and kashmir, june 14, kashmir, mw, natural resources, possibilities, power projects, renewable energy, solar heating, solar power, source of energy, use of solar energy, wind energy