Jammu and Kashmir plans to penalise Baglihar contractorsApril 23rd, 2008 - 1:37 am ICT by admin
Jammu, April 22 ( IANS) The sluggish pace of work at Baglihar power project has irritated the Jammu and Kashmir government and it has constituted a panel to suggest measures to penalise the contractors who have allegedly shifted completion date for over three years now. Sources in the government revealed that a three-member panel headed by Haseeb Drabu, economic advisor to Jammu and Kashmir, has been set up to examine the issue of penalising the contractors of the 450 MW hydro-electric project over river Chenab.
This is the first mega hydro-electric power project in the state, while all other major power projects are with the National Hydro-electric Power Project (NHPC). The NHPC has executed works at Salal, Dul Hasti, Uri projects.
The sources said contractors had been taking advantage of the “weak clauses” in the contract signed between them and the state government during the National Conference government in late 1990s, headed by Farooq Abdullah.
According to the sources, the failure of the contractors to complete the project by June 30 this year may result in penalty of over Rs.800 million ($20 million).
- 'Hydel agreements in Kashmir need renegotiation' - May 23, 2012
- Kashmir focuses on smaller hydroelectric projects - Oct 19, 2011
- Jammu and Kashmir has huge power deficit - Feb 25, 2011
- Omar for financially self-reliant Jammu and Kashmir - Apr 24, 2012
- Kashmir reviews terms of NHPC-run power projects - Jan 03, 2012
- Kashmir imposes usage charges on hydro projects - Feb 03, 2011
- Omar visits snow-hit Jammu region - Jan 09, 2012
- Kashmir's economic growth depends on power: Omar - Sep 04, 2012
- High court permits usage of water cess levied on NHPC - Mar 31, 2012
- Mufti seeks boost for Kashmir economy - Dec 26, 2011
- Kashmir power projects to be allotted through tenders - Mar 06, 2010
- Kashmir minister lambasts NHPC for 'resource drainage' - Jun 06, 2011
- NHPC never had ownership rights over power projects: Kashmir - Jan 10, 2012
- Abdullah promises special energy plan for Jammu and Kashmir - Jun 12, 2009
- Kashmir's historic town soon to be history! - Jul 10, 2011
Tags: 1990s, clauses, completion date, dul, economic advisor, failure, hydro electric power, jammu and kashmir, jammu and kashmir government, kashmir, measures, member panel, mw, nhpc, power projects, river chenab, rs 800, sluggish pace, state government