Jamaican hijacker storms Canadian plane for cash (Fourth Lead)April 20th, 2009 - 9:30 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston/Toronto, April 20 (IANS) All 174 passengers and six crew of a Canadian airliner were safe after a hijacker stormed the plane at a Jamaican airport.
CanJet Airlines flight 918, which was on its way to Cuba from Halifax (Canada), had stopped at Montego Bay in Jamaica when the gunman breached security Sunday night to board the plane 40 minutes before its departure.
The 20-year-old Jamaican hijacker with “mental issues” was arrested.
Police said he wanted money from the passengers and to be flown to Cuba.
The hijacker-hostage drama at Sangster International Airport in Montego Bay came to a peaceful end after eight tense hours, the Canadian Press quoted Jamaican police as saying.
Two crew members along with the passengers bought their freedom by paying cash to the hijacker, police said.
A woman passenger confirmed that they bought their freedom from the gunman, whom she identified as “Rico” and who said he wanted to go to the US.
Reports said the gunman became agitated when police came on board and tried to negotiate with him. He ordered the pilot to take off.
Quoting another woman passenger, the Canadian news agency said a shot was fired outside the plane while the gunman demanded money from the passengers.
“That’s when we all got very, very scared and people were crying and praying and we were just really frightened for all of our lives. There were children on the plane,” reports quoted the woman passenger as saying.
“We all took our money and we just, like, left our purses and our passports and everything just in the plane because we didn’t want to take any chances. We just put the money in a bag and we ran out of the plane,” she said.
Negotiations stretched through the night with the gunman before he was arrested and the hijack drama ended.
- Jamaica hostage taker releases all plane passengers (Third Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Man holds seven hostage on plane in Jamaica (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Plane hijacking attempt foiled in China - Jun 29, 2012
- Hostage situation at Sangster International Airport in Jamaica - Apr 20, 2009
- When a Kashmiri teen hijacked plane with a toy pistol - Mar 20, 2012
- Delta employees arrested in Detroit airport for international drug smuggling - Apr 29, 2011
- Pakistani held for aircraft hijack threat - Apr 27, 2012
- Investigators Search for Perpetrator in San Fransisco Jetliner Hijacking Threat - Aug 20, 2010
- Spanish plane hijacking report denied - Aug 30, 2012
- Death Toll In Jamaica Likely To Mount - May 26, 2010
- Plane with 127 on board crashes in Pakistan, no survivors (Night Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Coffee spill diverts United Airlines flight - Jan 06, 2011
- Pakistani plane with 127 on board crashes, no survivors (Third Lead) - Apr 21, 2012
- Fighter jets intercept Detroit-bound plane after passengers 'make out' in bathroom - Sep 12, 2011
- India will have to apply for extradition of hijack suspect: Chilean Ambassador - Apr 13, 2011
Tags: airliner, airlines flight, canadian news, canjet, crew members, cuba, gunman, halifax canada, hostage drama, jamaica, jamaican police, kingston, montego bay, negotiations, news agency, passports, purses, sangster international airport, storms, tense hours